Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 4000 Mile One-Up Road Trip Report  (Read 5595 times)

Offline PQB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atlanta
4000 Mile One-Up Road Trip Report
« on: June 11, 2014, 01:42:15 pm »
Just returned from this one combining Interstates, the Seaway Trail, back roads and some gravel.  Summary Report:

1.  No mechanical issues or problems.

2.  More truck buffeting than I expected.

3.  Stock Pirelli's don't track highway grooves, do fine on grated bridges, are better than expected on gravel, but seem pretty slippery on tar snakes.

4.  The Triumph "Comfort" seat is much more comfortable than the stock seat but was only good for about 2 hours between stops.  As a general rule, though, during the course of two 800 mile days, the pain in my knees was worse.

5.  The CalSci large windshield is truly a barn door when fully raised but is far more efficient in keeping the rain out than the stock or the "tall" windshields now gathering dust in my garage.  Anybody want to make me an offer?

6.  The Kilimanjaro jacket really works in most any kind of weather except REALLY HOT as in 94 degrees coming home on the horrible stretch of I-85 between Charlotte and Atlanta.

7.  I am not entirely convinced that Rain Zip does what it is supposed to.

Next week starts the two-up 5000 mile trip with brand new Russell seats.  I'll report back in two weeks.  Happy Trails.

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: 4000 Mile One-Up Road Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 03:33:27 pm »
A report on the Russell will be of interest.  I'm looking forward to hearing how it is.
Thanks,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:15:42 pm »
When you say Seaway Trail do you mean the ride along  Lake Erie, the Niagara River, Lake Ontario and the St. Lawrence River?  If so it's a great trip and would enjoy your thoughts (and any pictures) of the ride itself.  Also it is a great trip to make from the Canadian side as well.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline PQB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Atlanta
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 04:15:05 pm »
I basically did the ride from Ogdensburg to Niagara Falls, much of it in bad weather, but a pretty good day between Clayton and Niagara Falls.  I did not continue on down on Lake Erie because of time constraints.  Overall, I found it to be a pleasant ride, but not as memorable as I anticipated from the online PR.  Clayton is nice little river town with some interesting shops and the antique boat museum. I found Ogdensburg reminiscent of the declining Hudson River towns during the '60s and Alexandria Bay focused on carnival tourism.  Wish I hadn't forgotten my passport because everybody says the Canadian side of the Falls is much nicer than ours.  Oh well.  Next week it's off to Cape Breton Island and PEI where there will be no surprises.

Offline kingoffleece

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050SE
  • City / Town: Western New York
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 04:34:39 am »
I'll be amazed if you don't like the Russell.  It's the number one seat I people buy my rain covers for by a wide margin and the owners, every one, say it's the best seat they have by a long shot.

Offline RickH

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Park City
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 07:39:09 pm »
I just added a Russel Daylong seat to my Trophy. Just back from a 1,500 mile ride (6-7 hours in the saddle) and I must say the only part of my body not tired or sore was my tush. Seat is simply fantastic. Can sit in it all day, literally, as the name implies. Best seat I've ever own and worth every penny for long days in the saddle.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 03:40:29 am »
*Originally Posted by RickH [+]
I just added a Russel Daylong seat to my Trophy. Just back from a 1,500 mile ride (6-7 hours in the saddle) and I must say the only part of my body not tired or sore was my tush. Seat is simply fantastic. Can sit in it all day, literally, as the name implies. Best seat I've ever own and worth every penny for long days in the saddle.

Can you buy a Russel  for the trophy without sending in a seat?
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 08:44:36 am »
*Originally Posted by atrophy [+]
Can you buy a Russel  for the trophy without sending in a seat?

No.  Russell only rework seats from your seat pan.  I have had a couple and the seats are fantastic.  One method I use is buy a seat on US eBay and get the seller to send it direct to Russell on my behalf, tell Russell what you are doing in and fill our the order form with pictures of you on the bike and then the seat comes to you.  Worked fine for me.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

tweedy-bunch