Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Just went 10 rounds with Froch  (Read 8232 times)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Just went 10 rounds with Froch
« on: June 11, 2014, 09:44:26 pm »
Anyway that's what it felt like.  Picked up my new TT today after trading in my Sprint GT.  What a nightmare, couldn't go round corners, nightmare round roundabouts. Crappy gear changes, nearly went through the screen with braking.  OMG rode like a learner's first ride.

Moving from the light and nippy Sprint GT to the Trophy has so far been 'hard', I'm sure it will improve, but my first impression is not good.

Never had a problem test riding, but today now I own it, I was in permanent fear of dropping the darned thing..

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Just went 10 rounds with Froch
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21:51 pm »
Wow, sorry to hear you are disappointed.  But I'm sure there are many on this forum that have felt the bike took some getting used to.  I for one.  I also have a Sprint (955 ST) that is lighter and more nimble than the Trophy.  When I move from one bike to the other there is, naturally, some adjustment time.  But I (along with nearly everyone else on this forum) can assure you that your proficiency and comfort with the Trophy will improve.  Long winded way of saying, it will only get better.  :002:
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 10:48:54 pm »
Sorry to hear your ride home seems to have been such a trauma....

I have to say you are the first person I can recall reporting such  a problem acclimatising to the new ride.

As w8d4it says getting used to any new ride is always a matter of time and perhaps there is just an element of cautiousness riding something brand new having dropped such a lot of money on it.

I am positive once you have had a chance to properly adjust the settings for you and had a few more rides all of that will be a thing of the past. The Trophy is truly a beautiful bike to ride with a nimbleness that you do not expect from its size.

It is not a sports bike... But it handles predictably and with great poise...

Hang on in there.... It will get better
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline davybull

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE L
  • City / Town: Wigan
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:32:00 pm »
I test rode the Sprint GT and the Trophy back to back. I was at the dealers to buy a GT. Came back from test ride ready to get the credit card out but when I returned from the test ride he was busy with another customer so he asked if I wanted to try anything else.

The Trophy demo was sat next to the GT so I said yep I'll have a go on that if I can. Yep it's a big beast but I was miles more confident on the Trophy than the sprint straight away. That bloody test ride cost me thousands!!  :233:

I traded up from a 600 Yamaha Fazer so there is quite a big difference in the physical size and the weight. I have dropped mine once taking it off the centre stand so am now more careful and use the side stand when I'm out and about.

I find that as soon as I'm on the move the weight disappears and the bike handles great. Haven't had any other wobbles yet (touch wood!).

Hope you soon start to enjoy your new bike.

Dave.
Trust me......
I ride a Triumph.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 03:10:40 am »
I have ridden a Sprint several times.  It's light but too damned uncomfortable for me, but then again I'm 6' 1" 220 so I like a bike I can ride and not bottom out :001:

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 03:44:16 am »
Depends what you are used to I suppose. After the ST1100 the Trophy feels like a sports bike. So easy to turn in through corners I was steering in too early for a while. And I have now stopped braking metres too early for corners. 

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Fareham
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 06:18:33 am »
Thank for the replies, particularly interested in the ST1100 comment as I had one and rode it like a demon.  I just think I was scared to death of dropping my new investment and just need to relax.  Woke up this morning with aches n pains which I'm sure are just down to being tense, and time will improve.

I had the TT a day when my Sprint was in for service and that day I had no problems at all.  I loved that Sprint, but only survived its seating position for 3 months until I had to get something more upright for my old body.

Im sure that the TT and I will become friends.

thanks all

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 06:33:15 am »
I know the feeling about being easy until you know the bike.  The trouble with the Trophy, if you can call it that, is that I still don't know what the bike's limits are.  The feeling when riding the ST1100 fast is just not there, as the Trophy does it with ease.  I still have the ST1100, and wonder what it will feel like later in the year when I give her a run.   :027:

tweedy-bunch