Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Help - Compulsory Equipment/Requirements Touring Abroad ...  (Read 11623 times)

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
  • Happy Happy Pillion Girl
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Black :O)
  • City / Town: Mercia Marina, Derby
Hello Everyone

Mr Ticketyboo and I are having some discussion as to what we think is required in various countries (by discussion of course I mean I insist I'm right and he insists he is!) 

So, my question to those who have toured abroad very recently .. we are off to Tridays in Austria and will be travelling through France, Belgium, Germany and of course Austria.  I've read on the AA site that these things are needed and as we don't have any of them, if they are needed, we need to get our act together very quickly!!  The BMF site which Mr Ticketyboo refers to suggests we don't need anything !

1.  Reflective patches on helmets ?
2.  Hi-vis jackets ?

Is this the case? 
Do we need anything else/anything else compulsory ?   :187:

Hoping somebody can say for definite who's travelled  very recently as I'm reading/hearing so many conflicting stories.

Thanks in anticipation  :084:

Carol

Trophy SE 2015 in Sexy Phantom Black!

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: Help - Compulsory Equipment/Requirements Touring Abroad ...
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 09:34:16 pm »
There is a difference between what you have to have legally and what you might get away with.  This might be repeating 'folk law' but I will start the discussion.

As I understand it you need a breathalyser (or 2) there was a law passed to make people carry them BUT the law for punishment was not passed so no fine or anything for not having one.

The reflective patches on helmets are a bit more complicated.  I have heard ALL helmets have to have 3 reflective patches (1 front one on each side), only helmets sold in France have to have them fitted, only helmets sold in France have to have them in the box.  I have also been told that the Paris police are hot on it.  I have reflective patches on mine and my pillion's helmets (cheap on ebay) but no one else I ride with in France have them. 

Never been stopped for no reflective stickers or breathalysers.

Reflective jackets for both Pillion and rider need to be within easy reach to wear if you stop on the side of the road.  I did stop once on the side of the road to pick up bits fallen off a Honda!!! The police stopped and were very nice but asked if we could put our reflective jackets on.  But also thanked us for picking up the bits and hoped we had a good day riding.

I think you also need spare bulbs but because we have 'multiple' rear lights and front lights I think you could get argue that they have spares built in.  Spare LEDs do not need to be carried.

I have to say I take spare bulbs, fuses, tyewraps and electrical tape.  put the reflective jackets in the tank bag and breathalyser under the seat with puncture repair outfit.  Most bits have come in handy either for me on different bikes not the TTSE and to get other people going.

France no radar detector or even speed camera over lay for the sat nav but I think all sat navs have a 'safety zone' setting instead of 'speed camera' which is allowed.  I was with a group and one of them had a radar detector unplugged under a front seat.  The police stopped us for another reason but saw the leads for the radar detector and confiscated it.  They said he could get it back for free but postage was 500 euros!!!!  He left it with them.

The only other thing I can say is that in Germany I think you have to have a first aid kit but that might just be for cars.

I am sure there are better people to say about all the countries but I am comfortable that if I carry the stuff above for France I am happy in all countries.

One other thing I found once, although you are not going there, is that I read that you could not play music through in ear speakers in Spain???

Of course lots of documents and spare copies are always good. 

Hope some of that helps and not too much of it is just folk law.  I am sure that like a lot of places there might be laws but 'normally' they are not enforced unless you do something stupid.

John

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 09:45:48 pm »
Hi there John

Thanks for replying to me.  I've done a bit more investigation myself since and then suddenly remembered I knew a Triumph owner on Facebook who is not only French, but a lawyer too!!

He says :

We don't need reflective patches on helmets.
We do need hi-vis jackets just as you say for the side of the road if broken down and awaiting assistance.
We don't need the breathalyser kits unless staying in France for any length of time - when I said we just had one/two nights there he said he wouldn't bother buying one, but if we did then to get them from a normal grocery type store where they were 1 euro and not when we get of the train as they were extortionate price wise there.
He didn't mention spare bulbs but as you say, we have more than one light on TTs.
We already have a small first aid kit.
He mentioned we must take insurance certificates, driving licence and DVLA documentation.

I'm figuring that if we have all that then from what I read we'll be OK in Germany and Austria too.

So - looks like we need to find somewhere to buy 2 hi-vis jackets and a GB sticker before the weekend !

I've heard too about not having things playing music etc in your ears, some say comms units aren't allowed either - but neither of these apply to us as we like solitude inside our helmets lol.

Hope to see you again in the not too distant future !!  :001:

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.  :028:

Carol 

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 10:27:37 pm »
European breakdown cover would be on my "must have" list, but I bet you've got that already.

Have a great time

Offline TicketyBoo

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 10:39:01 pm »
Errrm .. I think so Andy, I leave that bit to Ian, but I'll check with him when he finishes work !

See you when we get back but no doubt chatter via FB with your lovely other half  :001:

Carol x

Offline mjdstrsgt

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Sprint GT + STR
  • City / Town: Stratford upon Avon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2014, 05:32:36 am »
My experience mirrors the points John raises

Reflective patches on helmets have been French law for a number of years now - this not recent

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2013/03/16/france-compulsory-reflective-stickers-on-all-helmets/

Breathalyzers - compulsory in France - but there is no fine or punitive structure in place - so go figure that one. Typically French

The law on bulbs is simple, and again typically French.  It is not the law that you must carry bulbs, but it is illegal if they are broken.  So as long as they work you are fine. A spare headlight and indicator is all that is needed - LED tail light cluster is not practical

Reflective bits on clothing got canned.

Docs - originals are required.  But have a copy located in a separate place in case - we put a separate set in

As well as breakdown, you might consider travel insurance - but check conditions = most cheap insurances exclude motorcycling.  Medical repatriation costs are why we bother.....just in case

oh yes - and filtering in France - see here

http://ukfrancebikers.com/2013/05/17/3-safety-reminders-for-uk-bikers-to-remember-while-riding-in-france/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 05:36:52 am by mjdstrsgt »

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 10:12:39 am »
Hi Carol,

Sorry to throw a late spanner in the works, but according to the RAC,
RAC Guide to Driving in Austria
vehicles with 2 or more wheels need to carry a Warning Triangle too !

Have a great time and see you when you get back  :152:

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:23:21 pm »
breathalyzer - what if you don't drink  :112:

tweedy-bunch