Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Considering switch from R3 to Trophy  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
Considering switch from R3 to Trophy
« on: June 15, 2014, 09:03:07 pm »
Hey everyone.  I currently ride a Rocket 3 2007 with about 40K miles on it.  I've been thinking about trading it in for the Trophy since it came out but every time I hop on the Rocket I think "nah, I love this thing too much."  Now that the temperatures are over 100F again and my right leg is getting cooked very day I'm getting a little more serious about swapping for a more versatile bike.
I took one for a spin a few months ago and loved it. Haven't had the chance to get the wife on it yet, and I'm looking forward to hearing your experience with a passenger's comfort.
Anyway, on to the boards!

Online RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many!
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
Re: Considering switch from R3 to Trophy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:12:07 pm »
Oddly enough, I just tried a Rocket III for the first time on Saturday morning and it was a whole lot of fun, but I certainly know what you mean about feet and lower legs getting cooked on the Rocket!

As good as the Trophy is, if excessive heat is a problem, have you ever considered trying the Explorer as well?
‘13 Tiger 1200 Gold/Red  - 2013 to date
‘14 Trophy 1200 SE Ruby Red Candy - 2021 to date (my “keeper”)
‘15 Trophy 1200 A1 Pacific Blue - 2020 to date (for sale now!)
‘15 Trophy 1200 SE Silver - 2021 to date

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:04:11 pm »
No, not really.  My riding is all street and I'm looking to increase my long distance riding.  I also ride year round so the heated grips and seats have some appeal.

Online RedMerle

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Too many!
  • City / Town: St Cleer, Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:20:21 pm »
You've just described my riding to a "T" and I also enjoy both the heated grips and seats on the Explorer. The Explorer is a much more effective tourer than the otherwise wonderful R3 as well.

However, the Trophy will definitely have the edge if you're looking to do hundreds and hundreds of miles of non stop motorway (Freeway) miles.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:24:52 pm by RedMerle »
‘13 Tiger 1200 Gold/Red  - 2013 to date
‘14 Trophy 1200 SE Ruby Red Candy - 2021 to date (my “keeper”)
‘15 Trophy 1200 A1 Pacific Blue - 2020 to date (for sale now!)
‘15 Trophy 1200 SE Silver - 2021 to date

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:00:58 pm »
That's what I'm looking at.  My city is located in the middle of the desert  at least 200 miles from anything.  My friends and I do a 400 mile loop through southern New Mexico that has highway miles, mountains, and winding country roads but if I want to do some serious touring that means at least 4 hours in the saddle before I even get close to anything interesting.   

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:43:39 pm »
First, Welcome to the Forum :400:, Second I really like the Rocket III but the Trophy is a better all around bike.  And no question that if you want to long distance ride the choice has to be the Trophy.  If you can't afford both then you should go with the Trophy.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 03:18:34 am »
Thanks for the input.  I absolutely love my Rocket but it really isn't conducive to the kind of riding I want to do.  I can't justify keeping both right now as much as I'd like to.
My local dealer is really pissing me off though.  They got 1 Trophy in stock last year which was promptly purchased  (by a member of this forum) and they've never replaced it.  I've ended up going 250 miles to Albuquerque NM to see/ride the Trophy.

Offline tomkat

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE
  • City / Town: Las Cruces, NM
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 03:45:49 am »
Hi Ender, and welcome.  I'm just up the road from you, in Las Cruces.  Just got back today from a great 3 day ride up to Alpine, AZ on my Trophy.  I came to the Trophy from a Harley, mainly because I like doing the type of riding that you describe.  I also commute to work on the bike on a daily basis, and it fits the bill in that respect as well.

Now the negative... when it's hot out, you will feel it on the Trophy.  The weather protection on the bike is so good that you don't get much air.  I don't feel the engine heat, but when it's 90+ degrees outside I find myself wishing for some ventilation. To me that's a small price to pay for the overall goodness that the Trophy offers, but it is worth noting.

Here's my 2 cents on the dealers:  I definitely recommend going to PJs in Albuquerque.  It was worth it to me to travel 3 hours there to do business, rather than dealing with the place in El Paso.  PJs is a real motorcycle shop, and they value your business.  If you have any questions, feel free to email me...

- Tom
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2015 Yamaha WR250R