Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Just couldn't make it work!  (Read 5840 times)

Offline umph

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Florida
Just couldn't make it work!
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:43:23 am »
Had my Trophy for 9 months and tried everything to make it as comfortable as the Goldwing we traded in for it but just couldn't get there.  We tried the Top Box and $1,300 Russell Daylong Seats (Which did allow for 5 to 6 hour rides in comfort) but the clincher was the unbearable heat when the outside air temperature exceeded 90 degrees F.  The cockpit was just unbearable with the engine and exhaust heat swirling and staying around the driver and passenger.  Don't get me wrong, the Triumph is an amazing bike and I really like it but it just was not everything I needed.  I wish everyone the best and please ride safely.  BTW, I have some of the accessories listed in the "For Sale" forum section.  The Russell Daylong seats are truly amazing and I am selling them for half price.
Very best regards,
2013 Trophy
2013 Hayabusa

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Just couldn't make it work!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:37:48 am »
Sorry to see you go.  :159:  All the best and you ride safely as well.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:17:29 am »
Hello and goodbye... sorry to see you go but if a bike doesn't suit your riding and conditions then you have to move on.... good luck for the future
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 08:42:34 am »
*Originally Posted by umph [+]
but the clincher was the unbearable heat when the outside air temperature exceeded 90 degrees F.  The cockpit was just unbearable with the engine and exhaust heat swirling and staying around the driver and passenger.
Did you find that to be true even with the windshield all the way down?

I find my TTSE to be a lot cooler than my 84 Venture because I can only adjust the TTSE screen.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:00:30 am »
Hi umph - Stay safe whatever you ride  :028:

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 06:54:24 pm »

umph,
A lot going for the GW in the rider and passenger comfort department, and not all that bad in the handling department for it's size and weight.  Just different - by a LOT!  I did a little over a hundred miles on a friend's brand new Wing one day and it was great for what it does well.  If I was confident enough in my abilities to deal with such a large heavy machine all the time I might be on one as well, if my wife ever rode with me that is.
Best wishes and ride safe
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 10:41:00 pm »
*Originally Posted by DonTom [+]
Did you find that to be true even with the windshield all the way down?

I find my TTSE to be a lot cooler than my 84 Venture because I can only adjust the TTSE screen.

-Don-  Reno, NV

Since the weather has warmed up here in Texas the Trophy has gotten progressively hotter.  You can mitigate it some by putting the screen down, but that defeats the purpose of having a big touring bike.  The wind howls past your helmet so loud you can't hear the radio.

I'm about ready to order a Gold Wing vent and install it on the Trophy.  I'm a little concerned by the curve of the windshields though.  The Wing is definitely less curved left to right than the Trophy and may also be flatter vertically as well.  I wonder if the vent could put a bind on windscreen motor?

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 02:11:02 am »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
Since the weather has warmed up here in Texas the Trophy has gotten progressively hotter.  You can mitigate it some by putting the screen down, but that defeats the purpose of having a big touring bike.  The wind howls past your helmet so loud you can't hear the radio.

I'm about ready to order a Gold Wing vent and install it on the Trophy.  I'm a little concerned by the curve of the windshields though.  The Wing is definitely less curved left to right than the Trophy and may also be flatter vertically as well.  I wonder if the vent could put a bind on windscreen motor?
I think of the windscreen as an item to have up when the weather is not perfect. I prefer it down when it is extra warm, even while on the freeway.  But I guess in Texas, the wind could be hotter than your body temperature and then keeping it down might not help much.

I usually use Bluetooth, instead of the speakers. I noticed the G9 powerset   worked best when it was windy with windscreen low  because the AVC could not be turned off or even be set low enough. I used to adjust my volume by my windscreen height. But now I use an N-Com which has no AVC at all and works much better, especially when it's quiet.  The G9 would not go loud enough unless there was some wind noise.

Good luck with your vent idea. I guess you will have to be the guinea pig. Let's us know here how it works, if you decide to try it.

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9