Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: cylinder head replacement  (Read 6672 times)

Offline waspanman

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
cylinder head replacement
« on: June 18, 2014, 09:11:48 pm »
I have just had my TT returned from Triumph after the cylinder head was replaced and have found the new arrangement is noisier than the original, exhibiting a distinct and (I think) getting louder, ticking sound, which sounds like tappets albeit not noisy ones, yet.
I have contacted Triumph and as is usual with all companies, have found that I am the only person in the world to report the problem!!!

My question to the forum is, has anyone else found this, or am I really the unluckiest person around????

Your input would be greatly appreciated

Offline FROSTY

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Broadford
Re: cylinder head replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 04:17:28 am »
Totally opposite for me mate, the bike is much quieter. I would ask the question if the bike was done right.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:23:24 am by FROSTY »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 05:11:23 am »
Venomyellow had a similar complaint.  See this thread.  As I remarked in that thread one would think if anyone would get the repair done correctly it would be the factory.
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,2311.0.html
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Mick

• Trophy Member
  • mderrig
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 03:17:30 am »
I had the same problem. a real rattle sound from the engine which quietened down after about 10 minutes. Luckily I took it back for a service and asked them to check the noise. Turns out one of the exhaust pipes was not tightened up to the cylinder. It really was a rattle. As the bike got hot and the metal expanded the rattle decreased. Problem fixed.

Offline tommy23

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy 1200se
  • City / Town: rayleigh
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:56 am »
*Originally Posted by waspanman [+]
I have just had my TT returned from Triumph after the cylinder head was replaced and have found the new arrangement is noisier than the original, exhibiting a distinct and (I think) getting louder, ticking sound, which sounds like tappets albeit not noisy ones, yet.
I have contacted Triumph and as is usual with all companies, have found that I am the only person in the world to report the problem!!!

My question to the forum is, has anyone else found this, or am I really the unluckiest person around????

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 08:08:44 pm »
tommy23, just curious if you meant to make a comment when you quoted waspanman? If so it doesn't show.  Also wanted to welcome you to the Forum and suggest you stop over to the new member section and introduce yourself to the rest of the Forum.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 08:23:04 pm »
*Originally Posted by waspanman [+]

I should contact Triumph aswell then - mine is definitely louder. Do you have an email address or phone number for them?

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 11:03:46 pm »
The other day, I was able to compare my TTSE (which did not have the head modification) to  triucati's (Mark's) TTSE which did have the engine noise TSB work done.

They both sound exactly the same to both of us. Both are within the VIN range of the head noise problem.

So for those who are considering having the head TSB done, I would say if it is not broken, don't fix it. Or at least not until the warranty is about ready to expire.

I only have about 5,000 miles on my TTSE, so things could change later, but for now, I won't fix what is not broken.

-Don-  Reno, NV
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 12:13:16 am by DonTom »
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

tweedy-bunch