Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: floorboards/highway pegs  (Read 6757 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
floorboards/highway pegs
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:38:49 pm »
I may be getting old but on my last trip (it was only about 2300 miles so not all that long) for the first time ever my right foot (the foot, not the leg) began to severely (and I mean severely) ache about every 50 to 100 miles.  I used the standard method of riding with my leg stretched out for a few miles but this aching problem occurred so frequently that that wasn't a real solution.  So for the first time in my life I'm considering getting highway pegs or more preferably the floorboard type rest on finds on a Harley.   

I used the search function and the vast majority of posts seem to focus on the idea of attaching highway pegs to R&G crash bars.  I don't want to go to 1) the expense of the R&Gs and 2) the trouble of removing the entire fairing, when really my need is for the foot comfort.  I didn't find a viable solution mentioned.  Someone mentioned floorboards but the idea was dismissed out of hand because of the shifter position.  As my concern is really for my right foot that wouldn't be a concern (other than symmetry) but I don't know if such a floorboard exists.  Chromeworld advertises one but then has an example on a Goldwing so that doesn't inspire confidence.  Another poster mentioned KB Products but their highway pegs are for a Concours. 

So the net question after the long winded intro is "Has anyone managed to install, preferably floor boards, or at least highway pegs on the Trophy without using R&G or other crash bars?  Ideally I'd like something that could be installed and uninstalled quickly so it would be on the bike only for long rides. And of course it goes without saying that I don't want to modify the fairing.   Practical suggestions would be appreciated. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: floorboards/highway pegs
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:09:15 pm »
You might have a machinist look at the footpegs and see about cutting off the peg part and putting a hole through the base part and making a floorboard with a pivot mechanism that has adjustable travel stops.  If they could swivel some like Pivot Pegz, then it wouldn't affect shifting at all.  I've thought about that, as well as some less ugly/obtrusive highway pegs for mine on the R&G bars.  I just never pursued it to an end result, just like the backrest bracket template I need to do so Backup can build me a base for the K1600 backrest the dealer didn't care if I kept off of my  trade-in.  If you plan on being in the New Braunfels area any time let me know and maybe we could brainstorm a little.  I know I couldn't keep up if we went riding though - old and slow as I am.
Maybe this will help for a suggestion,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 11:15:22 pm »
Next time I am in New Braunfels I will look you up.  Your suggestion has merit but I was kind of hoping someone would know of an existing solution that doesn't require a machinist.  My research did bring up PivotPegz as you mention.  Interesting thought but of course the peg itself is kind of the opposite of a floorboard.   Although a left and right floorboard would keep the symmetry of the bike I suppose if I had to I could get away with just the right side and therefore not need the pivot.   Still the brake lever would not be positioned correctly.

I forgot to mention that one reason I want to try the floorboard concept is that the pain in my foot seemed to come from the fact that the foot peg was supporting only the middle of my foot.  I was able to get some relieve it I positioned my foot "pigeon toed" ie with my right foot at an extreme right angle so that much of the sole was supported by the foot peg.  Of course this was rather uncomfortable for both my hip and my knee. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 11:22:48 pm »
After a while I sometimes start to get a nagging ache in my knees and the quickest way to alleviate it is to rest the back of my calves on the rear corner of the R&G bars (not and option for you), or fold the passenger pegs down and rest the top of my foot on the rear pegs for a different angle on my knees.  Unfortunately you can only do either of these things on a rather boring road or the peace of mind in the handling starts to go away quickly!  :745:

Offline BigD

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Columbus (Dublin) OH
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 02:07:39 am »
*Originally Posted by w8d4it [+]
...the foot peg was supporting only the middle of my foot.   

You might consider boots with a steel shank in the sole to distribute the weight.  I considered it after my first long ride, but I seemed to adjust to the feeling and don't notice it much any more.  Having said that, I also move my foot to every conceivable position, from different angles, to my highway pegs, to hooking my heels on the rear pegs.  I find this last option gives me the most relief.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 04:01:53 am »
Thanks or that advice. Since moving to Texas  I seldom wear my heavy steel shank boots.  They are extremely hot for the weather here In the south.  Probably more importantly they are not waterproof like my all weather Triumph boots which I keep in my panniers for inclement weather.  The Triumph boots are also very hot for the weather down here but at least when I have to wear them they are waterproof
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 05:52:10 pm »
I beginning to think that it isn't just the foot-peg that is at fault.  I think it is a combination of the foot-peg and the Trophy riding position.  I came to this conclusion after I took a 350 mile ride yesterday on my Triumph ST with minimal foot discomfort.  Any of the mild discomfort was alleviated by shifting my foot around just a bit but still remaining on the foot-peg.   Admittedly 350 miles isn't a long ride but on my previous Trophy ride the severe foot pain kicked in within the first 100 miles. So I'm thinking it has something also to do with the seating position.  The Trophy sits just a bit higher than the ST.  On the other hand perhaps I just had something wrong with my foot and the ride to New Mexico merely aggravated it.  And now a week later the foot is simply better, hence no pain while riding the ST.   I guess the only way to test that theory is to go back out and ride the Trophy a few hundred miles.  Then back to back ride the ST some more.  Oh dear, what a chore, but I guess someone has to take the responsibility.   :001:
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:33:01 pm »
Hope if your foot is recovered has no issues that you don't induce a right wrist problem with all the testing  :745:

tweedy-bunch