Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: cam chain rattle  (Read 12753 times)

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
cam chain rattle
« on: June 21, 2014, 10:05:43 pm »
Any body else get a loud cam chain rattle when you start the bike from cold. Always had a slight tinging noise for less than a second which you would expect from a hydraulic cam chain tensioner but this morning when I started it I got a very loud rattle like a chain being shaken in a tin can for about 3 or 4 seconds. The bike hadnot been started for 4 or 5 days that the longest I have left it.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Re: cam chain rattle
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:03:31 am »
Yes, the cam chain tensoner was replaced under warranty.  It won't go away by itself.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 12:55:15 pm »
My bike came direct from the factory and is only 2 month old I was told all mods had been done are you saying the new tensioner is not hydraulic and shouldn't rattle?
If I take it back to the dealer it wont rattle when they start it it needs to have been lying for a couple of days so I need to be shure there is definitely something wrong
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:01:29 pm by malcolm »

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 03:44:13 pm »
Mine does this every so often,  does seem to happen more frequently after sitting a few days.   I am guessing it is normal, because mine still does it after head and timing chain replacement.  Also,  after 20,000 miles the frequency has not changed.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
...are you saying the new tensioner is not hydraulic and shouldn't rattle?

As far as I know the Triumph cam chain tensioner is hydraulic.  I believe all the Triples are.   I know that APE makes a manual for the Speed Triples but I don't think they make one for the Trophy.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 06:16:39 pm »
The tensioner is hydraulic which means it takes up the tension with oil pressure. If the bike sits for a few days and the oil drains from the tensioner it will take a few seconds for the pressure to "pump back up" BMW had this issue with their 1100/1150 oilhead engine designs. BMW finally came out with a new design which alleviated the issue, but theirs was severe enough to cause damage. As long as the tensioner pumps up quickly and the noise goes away I don't see a problem. You probably should check with your dealer just to make sure and help ease your mind.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 10:31:22 pm »
I think I will try changing the oil first I don't think the thin racing oil helps as I have said in another thread my gear box gets very noisy when the engine has warmed up so I think I will try a semi synthetic oil and just change it more often. I think Triumph recommend the racing fully synthetic oil so they can have 10k service intervals not because the engine need it

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:36:26 pm »
It's up to you but I would stay within Triumph recommendations, particularly if the bike is still under warranty. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST