Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Intercomm  (Read 5223 times)

Offline TrupTR

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TTSE
  • City / Town: Bombala
Intercomm
« on: June 26, 2014, 12:37:45 pm »
Still looking to purchase, Short Answer, What is the preferred brand of Intercom that works with the TT
Sprint ST 2007-2010
Sprint GT 2010-2014
TTSE-2014

Offline csquared

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springboro, OH
Re: Intercomm
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:59 pm »
After reading the contents of this section over the past 6 months, I'm not sure that there is a consensus as to the best intercom unit. The folks here use just about everything that is available in the marketplace.

Each intercom has its strength and weakness, so it's best to ask what you want to do (define your requirements). Some of the items to consider:

I ride alone.
     I ride with a buddy or pillion and want to talk to him/her.
     I ride in a group; large or small.
     What kind of devices do my riding buddies use?

How much money do you have to spend?

There are solutions for just about any situation but it can get pretty pricey and still there will be some shortcomings. This BlueTooth stuff is still evolving. It's gotten better over the past 7-8 years but is still problematic.

Chuck
Every day is a Saturday when you're retired!

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 04:59:27 pm »
The Sena SMH10 works pretty well as follows:  Phone paired first to the helmet, Trophy audio paired to the helmet as second source (audio paired), and it will also pair to another Sena system for intercom or any other Bluetooth intercom system through it's universal pairing option.  It will allow VOX operation of the intercom, but I find that to be the wrong setting for a motorcycle, since ambient noise will activate the intercom pairing request and interrupt audio repeatedly if you're riding alone or with a passenger that has no headset.  It's better to just use the one tap on the unit itself intercom connect method, and that opens the intercom on the selected unit as well as the second unit that is paired.  It will also allow audio sharing through the unit to a second unit if you wish to use playlists from your phone instead of the bikes audio (although I can't imagine why, since you can plug it into the glove box outlet and control ipod, etc, from the radio control module on the handlebar).  A second Sena can be paired to a different phone, a different audio source, etc., and they can be purchased as a factory paired set (although pairing them if they are not bought together is a really easy one time procedure).  The Sena can also be plugged into a 12V by micro USB charging cable and charge while in use as well, which is helpful if long days in the saddle are planned with nowhere to charge the unit(s).  I installed a switched powerblock under my seat and have a waterproofed USB at the front of the tank for my homemade waterproof case for the TomTom, so I could use a USB to micro cable if need be, but you could use the Trophy's auxiliary power sockets for that with the right plug (Powerlet to USB?).  I think if you research the different systems a little you will find that most of them are little by little incorporating any of these features they may have lacked in earlier versions.  I just like that I can update firmware on the Sena through the computer every time they improve it.
Hope this helps some,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline csquared

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springboro, OH
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 07:15:58 pm »
Glenn is correct in that the Sena SMH10 series intercom is a good solution. It has some flexibility that other devices do not. His is also a good workable solution.

Please note that the SMH10 series has a limitation of half mile line of sight distance for bike-to-bike communications. If you need more distance, then you'll need to use some other intercom or use a CB, GRMS/FRS or Ham radio with the SMH10 along with Sena's SR10. A couple of us use that combination of Sena products and it works pretty well.

My setup is pretty straight forward.
     Sena SMH10R paired to Headset 1
     iPhone 5 paired to Device 2
     Sena SR10 paired to SMH10R via Multipoint port

Operation is pretty simple, too.
     Music is on and as I chose from the control head on the handle bars.
     Inbound phone calls are accepted/rejected from the control head.
     Outbound phone calls are placed via Siri - gotta push the iPhone Home button to activate. The mic is always on.
          If I know I'll be doing this, I mount my iPhone on the handlebars or stop and pull the phone from my pocket.
     Inbound CB or GRMS/FRS communications interrupts the music so you can listen
     Outbound CB or GRMS/FRS communications is activated by pressing a remote PTT button

Is it perfect? NO but it does most of what I'd like to do. Still it does not do a bad job given that it only has one Bluetooth channel.

I wonder what the Sena 20S would do given that it has two "real" Bluetooth channels? I'd really like to see a low profile version like the SMH10R!

Some more thoughts to ponder. Some of the other folks have solutions also. Maybe they'll speak up....

Chuck
Every day is a Saturday when you're retired!

Offline TonyZZR

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Bromsgrove
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 08:27:20 pm »
I've owned 2 Scala Rider teamsets. (Q4 and G8). Both cost in excess of £300, both failed numerous times, both were replaced under warrantee, both failed again, both only ever worked intermittently. What a waste of £600. :233:

I bought a Sena SMH10 late last year, its never missed a beat, works perfectly. Every time. Even the Wife can use it.... 'nuff said.

Hope this helps your decision. :002:

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:25:13 pm »
csquared,
Question:
Do you get caller ID on the screen with the phone paired as device 2?  If you do I might use that sequence instead on mine. 
I would like a lower profile Sena as well, as long as it had the same features.  I use an Android phone and they will voice dial with the phone zipped in my jacket side pocket, one of the reasons I took the I phone back, along with not being able to share my wifes I tunes without having to have all her contacts and photos, and finding out if I tried to delete them from my phone it would delete it from her many I products also - not a good scene! 

Offline MikeDH

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Vienna
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 09:43:56 pm »
+1 on the Sena SMH-10. I would note though, based on my experience - and confirmed by others on the forum - the volume control on the bikes audio pod does not work with the Sena. I do not find that a big deal, given the placement of the control pod, which requires removing your hand from the left handle bar to access the pod. The Sena has a very user friendly volume control, which is easy to locate and does not require taking your eyes off the road even for a second. I can't say the same about the bike's volume control. Others here are more put out about the lack of volume control for the Sena via the bike's audio pod.
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. Albert Einstein

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 09:54:37 pm »
I use earbuds and I agree, it's easier to control volume with the Sena's volume control than it would be with the bikes handlebar control.  Packing so many controls on the handlebars inevitably means that something will be a long reach, unless the controls look like something tacked on as an afterthought like a lot of brands - Victory comes to mind.