New to forum and have some questions by RedMerle
[Today at 05:33:46 am]

Michelin Road 5 by Tenequip
[Today at 03:18:57 am]

Major help needed by GarminDave
[Yesterday at 10:30:48 pm]

Hi from UK by GarminDave
[Yesterday at 10:26:23 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Borrowed a Bonneville today  (Read 3176 times)

Offline neojynx

• Ex Member
  • Garry, Fareham
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Fareham
Borrowed a Bonneville today
« on: June 26, 2014, 09:00:19 pm »
Whilst my TT was in service, I was loaned a Bonneville T100

Dull as dishwater but scary at the same time.  Dull in that it's slow and boring, scary because the throttle is really sensitive, I nearly got thrown off the back of the darned thing, and the brakes are really powerful.

I was so glad when I picked up the TT.  My ankles are still killing me from riding the Bonneville as are my arms from gripping onto it hard.

I did like the little backfire noises from the exhaust.  Otherwise a piece of junk in my opinion.

regards

Garry
Honda Deauville
Honda Pan European ST1100
Triumph Sprint GT
Triumph Trophy - The blue one

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
Re: Borrowed a Bonneville today
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 09:29:40 pm »
A different bike all together. Until the air injection on the EFI Bonneville is disabled the throttle is quite snatchy and the backfiring and popping is annoying. Once that modification is completed, a great little bike.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Spudly

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Batley
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 10:33:33 pm »
I owned a 2009 bonneville SE for three years had triumphs aftermarket pipes and remap,fantastic bike toured all over eastern Europe on it and then my daughter used it after she passed her test,she loved that bike. My dealer lent me a street triple while my bike was getting serviced felt very small after the TTSE ,it is fun though,but it makes you ride like you stole it,great induction noise at 6 to 10000 rpm.

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 11:45:54 pm »
I absolutely love my Bonneville.  2004.  I spent a winter pulling it apart, doing a custom paint job, re-chroming wheels, and a bunch of other stuff.

It's not a TTSE, but it is a true motorcycle - heart and sole...

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 11:25:24 am »
I test rode a Street Triple. A modern day version of the Bonnie for young people!
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 04:06:45 pm »
*Originally Posted by Bludy L [+]
I test rode a Street Triple. A modern day version of the Bonnie for young people!

If the Street Triple is the modern day version of the Bonneville for young people, then today's Bonneville is the modern day version of the 1960s/1970s Bonneville for old(er) people.  So, I guess I qualify for my 2007 Bonneville.  It's the 865 cc engine, carburetted, and, even though it still has the air injection connected, it displays none of the exhaust popping or unwanted throttle reactions mentioned.  Of course it's almost 200 lbs lighter than the Trophy and has half the HP, but it still performs well and is an excellent ride.  ...and it still runs while the TTSE is in the shop!  I won't be giving mine up soon.

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:44:28 pm »
*Originally Posted by Theo [+]
If the Street Triple is the modern day version of the Bonneville for young people, then today's Bonneville is the modern day version of the 1960s/1970s Bonneville for old(er) people. 
Theo

Exactly!!!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:45:31 pm »
*Originally Posted by Spudly [+]
I owned a 2009 bonneville SE for three years had triumphs aftermarket pipes and remap,fantastic bike toured all over eastern Europe on it and then my daughter used it after she passed her test,she loved that bike. My dealer lent me a street triple while my bike was getting serviced felt very small after the TTSE ,it is fun though,but it makes you ride like you stole it,great induction noise at 6 to 10000 rpm.

Is that the one that bit you in the arse LOL!!

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.