Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: battery bubbling  (Read 1445 times)

Offline photoresolution

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: Burry Port
battery bubbling
« on: June 27, 2014, 06:17:49 am »
my battery in a triumph trophy 1200 when on idle starts to bubble is this normal trminal voltage is around 14.6 to 14.7vdc

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
Re: battery bubbling
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:11:01 am »
*Originally Posted by photoresolution [+]
my battery in a triumph trophy 1200 when on idle starts to bubble is this normal trminal voltage is around 14.6 to 14.7vdc
It sounds like your charging voltage (and charging current) is too high, unless that is right after a cold start and doesn't last long.

Check the charging voltage after a ride of several miles. See if the voltage goes down. Many regulator designs charge at a higher current just after the engine is first started and then the charging current (and voltage) lowers quite a bit. Then expect less than ~14.0 volts.

If it's just very light bubbles at just after startup, I wouldn't worry about it much.
 But if it's still high  (above 14.0VDC ), after a few minutes of normal riding I would consider it a problem. That's bad for  your lights as well as your battery, if continuously stays that high, but you will probably find as the battery gets more charged, from a five or more minute ride,  the battery voltage lowers and the boiling stops. I would then consider it normal.

However, I never checked my TTSE's voltage, but I would expect it to be much like most other 12 volt charging systems. The regulator will give it extra charging current right after start up if the bike has been sitting for a while.

Is that the case here?

-Don-  Reno, NV
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:54:19 am »
Hi photoresolution,

I see this is your first post - are you on the right Forum ?

This Forum is dedicated to the "new" Triumph Trophy Model released in 2012
with the 1215cc 3 cyclinder engine.

The battery fitted to these Models is a sealed for life gel filled job,
and I don't think they should "bubble" at all !  :033:

Everyone is welcome here, but to avoid any confusion discussions on other Trophy / Triumph models
should be held in the "On two wheels - Bikers Chat" Section  :028:

If it IS the previousl Model Trophy you need to discuss, there's a Forum dedicated to that here :
Triumph Trophy 3 & 4 forum

Cheers  :821:

Offline photoresolution

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: Burry Port
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 02:23:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply DonTom, yeah I am taking the voltage from start up so I will give it a run and see if it settles down, Thanks coconut for pointing out to me that this forum is for the newer Trophies, mine is a 1996 model that i have recently purchased, cheers

tweedy-bunch