HOW TO : Remove the Fairing AND Fit R&G Adventure ( Crash ) Bars by Coconut
[Today at 08:47:14 am]

Best BT headset by fluxxcomp
[Yesterday at 11:53:03 pm]

"best" blutooth comms system? by trophied
[Yesterday at 11:42:24 pm]

Which garmin fit the standard triumph mount? by 1675
[Yesterday at 11:15:15 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Accessory Grand Larceny...  (Read 5792 times)

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Accessory Grand Larceny...
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:37:36 pm »
I'm kind of new at shopping for a "new" motorcycle, have shopped for many new cars and truck in the past:  Does it TICK anyone else off that you can't just order the item on the bike the way you want it from the factory? 

For instance, have to buy the bike with standard seats, then pay another $380 rider / $330 passenger ($710) to buy heated seats to replace the standard seats.  Why can't customers just order heated seats from the factory and have them installed as the bike is being built, and pay a slightly higher price for the added Heating feature of the seats (maybe $50 each seems fair to me for an element and wiring), instead of replacing the whole seats!  What a waste!

BTW:  Corbin makes a nice looking  Dual Touring saddle with HEAT for $633, plus add back rests for another $218 or $360 w/ toolbox - depending on what you want).  http://www.corbin.com/triumph/ttry13.shtml

Then there's the cheaply engineered and expensive TOP BOX issue:  Have to buy a whole top box ($480), then buy another upper color coordinated lid part that color matches/coordinates with the rest of the bike of another $140, and toss the original upper lid part away, or set on a shelf to collect dust - total spent $620!  Again, what a waste!  Why not just charge $520 (+ $40) for a top box with choice of color?

And gotta buy a special sliding carriage for $200 for the top box to sit on: you mean the regular standard shelf won't work either - WTF!  And another $40 for a dinky pad for the passender to lean against.

This whole TOP BOX setup (for $860) is pretty whimpy compared to the BMW's Topbox/passenger rest: which might be worth the price they want for theirs instead: anyone try retrofitting yet?

Then there's the heated grips?  Are these the original grips and just electronics added to make them get hot?  Or are the old one's replaced at full price with new ones?  If new ones, shouldn't there be a choice which ones during the build?

I have order new cars and trucks thru dealerships, built for me at the factory with accessories, etc I wanted (for slightly more upgrade prices like moonroof, multi-disc players, Sat radio, heated seats, windows, mirrors - winter package) and didn't have to first buy, then totally remove and toss the original standard parts and pay full replacement price for the upgraded items - that would be crazy!!!....so, what's with this Triumph company doing that!  Why do we let them?

One reason why I'm looking at aftermarket items instead of Triumph's as I do my homework : and other comparable bikes too, the same way (Kawasaki Concours14, Yamaha FJR1300, BMW 1600...) and see what they offer...before my final decision.  I hate being nickeled and dimed to death....but the way Triumph is doing accessory business by charging and arm and a leg, for what amounts to waste on a grand scale in my bank account, gives me great pause!

Kind of stinks of, "TAXATION without Representation" issue of the past, eh! Albeit, that was another battle!

Seems like it would be so easy to sit down with a salesman, fill out a order form checking off the features you want, pay the fair upgrade price (like plus $100 more for two heated seats), and have the bike packaged and shipped to the dealer as desired; just like cars and trucks!

"Anybody from Triumph reading this...Beuller, Beuller, Beuller...."
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Offline clarge

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Qualicum Beach
Re: Accessory Grand Larceny...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 03:00:31 am »
You make a very good point.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 05:59:45 am »
Good points, but not unique to Triumph. Honda have a way of $$$ their accessories for bikes like the ST1100 and ST1300.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:21:58 am »
You make excellent points and ones I totally agree with. However, this is not just Triumph. It seems to be the way all motorcycle manufacturer s operate. It does seem a ludicrously wasteful thing to do. I can't really think of a way to persuade them to change other than we only ever buy standard bikes.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 08:58:18 am »
I too agree with what you are saying. But also strongly agree with the other comments. We seem to accept cars as they come off the shelf.

Bikes are a more personal thing. Not just Triumph. Buy a Harley then take it to bits to add all your own personal bling you want. By the time you finished the only thing Harley is the name and possibly the engine :745: Plus a pile of original parts in the corner of your garage. Which you cannt sell cos everyone else has done the same  :745:

But BMW cars charge a lot for there accessories. At one time you had to choose the radio and pay extra just to have a radio.

Seadog :158:
seadog

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 03:56:18 pm »
*Originally Posted by seadog [+]
But BMW cars charge a lot for there accessories. At one time you had to choose the radio and pay extra just to have a radio. Seadog :158:

I tend to believe the same goes for their motorcycles; doesn't-it?
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:35:57 pm »
Verdun95,
Yes BMW parts/accessories are expensive - experience talking.  I have found all the Triumph farkles with the exception of the R&G bars to be more reasonable.  Aren't we the lucky ones!!!!  :017:
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:49:37 pm »
You don't throw away the top part of the top box.   The colored lid is just  skin and fits over and screws onto the box

tweedy-bunch