Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 4300 Mile Two-Up Road Trip Report  (Read 4136 times)

Offline PQB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Atlanta
4300 Mile Two-Up Road Trip Report
« on: July 01, 2014, 01:08:17 pm »
Following up on my earlier 4000 mile one-up report, I just returned from this one which involved the usual mix of interstates and secondary roads, but much worse weather including a hail storm, 7 1/2 hour rainstorm and two hour deluge.  Observations:

1.  No mechanical issues other than non-functioning hand warmers.

2.  The Russell seats performed as promised the entire trip - comfortable and no butt pains, aches or hot spots for either of us.  Not even any break-in time.  They did not alleviate the chronic knee pain  that both of us get after sitting for a couple of hours and so I solicit any suggestions about highway pegs (don't know where to mount them unless I buy that very expensive set of aftermarket crash bars) to facilitate stretching without just hanging my legs off the existing pegs.  Heads up on one issue, though.  Because the Russell seat is wider than stock, you will probably find yourself sliding forward to properly position your legs on the ground at a stop - I am 6'5" and have a 34" inseam and this is the first time I have ever had to do this.  It is mildly unnerving until you get used to it.  It is somewhat more unnerving when you have the bags and luggage rack fully loaded and your 135 lb. pillion on board and the slightest movement back there translates into major instability. See photo. Fortunately, my pillion learned not even to breathe when we came to a stop.

3.  I managed to get Rain Zip to work for a while by applying copious amounts but it didn't seem to last for more than an hour or two.  Looking for other water beading suggestions.

4.  I was pretty impressed by the DuraShield travel cover that is unbelievably light and packable and yet kept most of the rain out at night.

5.  No trouble with the tires, gripping or tracking except for the usual tar snake issues.  They are wearing pretty well at 10,000 miles, but I watch the pressures pretty carefully.

6.  I am also looking for suggestions for real rain gloves.  My various sets of "waterproof" gloves became waterlogged during any sort of semi-serious rain event and took days to dry out.  For that matter, even though the CalSci windshield did a good job of keeping the rain off my face and the Kilimanjaro jacket did it's job of keeping the rain and water out, my jacket and the rest of my riding gear wound up pretty soaked much of the time.  My pillion did better than me in the rain most of the time.  The fairing seems to do a pretty good job of keeping pants dry and my Merrill waterproof hiking boots were truly waterproof.  Still, it is a pretty drenching experience riding in the rain.

7.  For reasons my mechanics haven't been able to determine, the hand warmers (which I actually wanted to use several times) keep shorting out and blowing the dedicated fuse. 

Overall, I would conclude that, as currently configured and even though I am not thrilled about the rain protection, I am pretty happy with this bike after 10,000 miles and impressed by the quality and reliability.  Happy Trails.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
Re: 4300 Mile Two-Up Road Trip Report
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 01:40:12 pm »
Good review.

You must of had torrential rain as if there is rain around I use the Trophy for its protection.  The only time I have had a problem is when I had to stop at a roundabout and it was heavy rain. The rain seemed to collect on the top of the tank and so ran off into my crutch when I set off again.  I wear a waterproof (Halvarssen) jacket but usually kevlar jeans.  I did "wash in" the jeans but that is all and I don't get wet.  I did use to use RainX until it was poinyed out that it should not be put on plastic so changed to NikWax visor proof.  I do not think it is as good but at least OK for plastic.  I also use halvarssen waterproof gloves and had no problem at all.  (OK I live near a Halvarssen shop that does good coffee no other connection).

I have the 'big touring' standard screen, it came with it (launch model) so have not tried anything else.

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 02:38:08 pm »
Nice report. I am getting ready for a two up 5000 mile trip to the Black Hills area in September and then a solo open ended ride to the Death Valley in October. I am very interested in long trip reports with the Trophy. After 40 years of riding all makes and models of motorcycles I will say the only thing I have that gives me better protection in the rain than my Trophy is my truck. The Trophy is better than my RT was and I didn't think that would be possible. Looks like I am going to get about 8000 out of the original Pirelli tires, I have a set of Avon 3D XMs waiting in the garage we will see what they do for the bike.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 03:13:27 pm »
PQB

Good report and sounds like an interesting trip. Photo is interesting. As  ride alone my bike wouldn't be loaded that much. But good to know no real issues with handling.

I have ridden in the UK with some pretty heavy rain and the bike to me has excellent protection. I use a REVIT sand 2 jacket which I find excellent and Held Quattra thermal trousers. last month I was out on the moor tops  and came into very heavy low cloud drenching wet. Although my gear is waterproof I have a full waterproof suit never before used. So I pulled over more to try out the suit. It was brilliant. Waterproof but fully wind proof and kept the under suits dry.
I bought the suit if I was on long rides in extreme rain so at your arrival you can still have dry gear underneath.

Gloves I use Held Quattra thermal very warm and waterproof.

Seadog

seadog

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 05:15:51 pm »
Good report. Like the others I'm surprised at rain protection comments.  When riding the Trophy I use only rain pants for protection.  On my other bikes I find it better to use a full rain suit.  So I'm surprised you experienced concerns
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 07:42:35 pm »
Nice report... well done.... Like everyone else... I am very surprised by the comments on rain protection.... best bike I have ever ridden for that!

With regard to the hand warmers shorting. There were a few people who commented about the wires for the grips rubbing on parts of the headstock and baring the metal and hence causing a short. Do a search and I am sure you will find the threads.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 02:02:36 am »
I have both frog toggs and a one-piece Triumph rain suit.  They both work well, but I rode through a torrential down poor on my Thunderbird wearing the the Triumph one-piece and stayed perfectly dry.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 01:54:55 pm »
I wonder if the Calsci screen played a part?  After writing my comment that evening riding home the motorway just disappeared in front of me with the rain bouncing back up.  I had a little bit of water on the top of the dash (others have mentioned that) but my goves and jeans didn't get wet at all.  I think this was because luckily the speed didn't drop too much.  I did put the screen up a bit (a large standard touring screen) and my shoulders got a tad damp but only on the outside.  I even had my phone and cards in an outside non-waterproof pocket but not even damp.  I thought that the lower part of my trousers would get soaked but ny the time I got home no sign of moisture.  I am on the Sprint today with forecast possible similar downpours (if you are unlucky) and that will definitely not be as pleasant!  I will put my phone etc in a waterproof pocket before I set off.