Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: SHAKING HANDLEBARS....  (Read 7065 times)

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY 1200 2013
  • City / Town: napoli
SHAKING HANDLEBARS....
« on: July 01, 2014, 05:31:32 pm »
...DID ANYBODY EXPERIENCED THIS PROBOLEM?

Between 60-80 kph speed.....
I have this problem since the beginning (the bike had 1400km rode when I got her.

Now, at 4300km I changed the front tyre with another PIRELLI ANGEL, but problem was not solved (maybe just little reduced). so it was not a tyre problem.

It happens that, when you go within this speed range. (60-80/90 kph) you can fell, and see with your eyes, that the handlebar is shaking (maybe 0,5 centimeters (0,2" inches) ) on the left/right axis. Problem go to disappear as you accelerate (seem to disappear above 100kph and on slower speeds).
I will go this week to the dealer that will check all the front suspension system (measures/gemoetry/etc...) in order to check that the bike has its "as project" values....then we'll see what happen.

If anyvbody experienced this problem, please let me know....

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
Re: SHAKING HANDLEBARS....
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 05:37:45 pm »
Others have had this too : Handlebar shake

Most of these were sorted by having the wheel properly balanced, but in at least one case
that didn't work, and a complete new wheel was fitted which cured the problem !

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 05:52:09 pm »
Agree with Coconut. Have the wheel balanced at your dealer. New tyre fitted they should always re balance the wheel. After removing all the old weights.

seadog
seadog

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 06:20:04 pm »
*Originally Posted by seadog [+]
Agree with Coconut. Have the wheel balanced at your dealer. New tyre fitted they should always re balance the wheel. After removing all the old weights.

seadog

Tyre is NEW and wheel balanced by local NO.1 tyre repairer for bikes (almost 1 century of activity on bike tyres). He did balance it obviously.... i NEVER had problems with him for ALL my bikes EXCEPT my KAWASAKI Z750S which suffered this problem (but I slipped down with it)....

In case the problem remain I guess Triumph shall supply me a new wheel on warranty.....I hope.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 03:57:47 am »
It sounds like a classic unbalanced tyre or worn tyre problem with shake at those speeds.  You could test the wheel for runout. Might also be worth checking the steering head bearings to see if they are overly tight/loose or have developed a notch. I have only been through the OEM tyres and did not develop that problem even with a worn front tyre.

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 02:44:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
It sounds like a classic unbalanced tyre or worn tyre problem with shake at those speeds.  You could test the wheel for runout. Might also be worth checking the steering head bearings to see if they are overly tight/loose or have developed a notch. I have only been through the OEM tyres and did not develop that problem even with a worn front tyre.

The problem didnt solve even just after exiting from the workshop after tyre change and re-balanced (from the most experienced bike tyres regional dealer, that I trust), so I shall investigate suspension and geometry config....

I had this problem only with another bike I had (KAWA Z750S).....also with GTR1400 no problem like this raised.

Offline biboy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:05:13 pm »
Just for sharing purposes, here is what happened today at the Triumph dealer:

1- he test the bike and got the shaking problem.

2- he removed the top box (panniers already not installed) and tested it; the shaking was almost "removed". I tested without top box (and the newly installed PIRELLI ANGEL), and shaking was nearly not noticeable.

3- then he installend another front tyre (DUNLOP QUALIFIER II just for detail). No shaking reported.

4- I also rode the bike with the dealer's guy on back, and no shaking I noticed.

5- We installed bak the PIRELLI ANGEL (new one I installed some days ago) and I rode again the bike with passenger. Shaking was returned.

So, by changing the tyre it seems to solve the problem. It is strange that I can reduce shaking by removing the top box.  :187: :187: :187:
I put the old ANGEL on the front because tomorrow I want to speak with my tyre insteller, explain him what happened and check if he can take back the tyre or , in case, take an agreement on  the next tyres train substitution...

That's all folks! :400:

Offline Phil

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 08:43:56 am »
I had the same problem with a Harley.    When I bought the bike it had Dunlop tyres fitted and no problem with shake.  I eventually fitted Avons and I immediately noticed a shake under braking.   IT got worse as the tyre warmed up.   I took the bike to my local dealer and he said you have the wrong tyres fitted.   The walls of the Avon were not strong enough to support the weight of the bike.   I contacted Avon who assured me the tyres were specially designed for Harley and the shake must be down to another problem.    Eventually need new tyres and reverted back to Dunlop.  Shake stopped.   

Freeway Phil

tweedy-bunch