Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Bugs getting worked-out?  (Read 4493 times)

Offline RussD

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: GL1800
  • City / Town: Dallas, Oregon
Bugs getting worked-out?
« on: July 03, 2014, 12:55:19 am »
Hello group, I own a 2008 Goldwing and considering a move to the lighter and more agile Trophy SE.
I have a bit of reluctance in making a move to Trophy as there seems to be many, many reliability issues as posted on this very site.

Would appreciate any feedback as to whether such issues seem to have been bugs relating to the new model or are they still being worked-out even with the newest 2014 edition?
Thanks, and if venturing out this holiday weekend stay safe.
Russ

Offline TerryB

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Valencia, CA
Re: Bugs getting worked-out?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 01:26:43 am »
I own a 2014 and I can tell you there are still issues, ones that would never have passed Honda engineering QC. I owned multiple Hondas for the last 12 years and got spoiled with Honda's excellent reliability. Given to do over again, I would have purchased the F6B. I am sticking with the Trophy for now because I do like very much, but man if it isn't one thing on the Trophy it is another. I do all my own wrenching so I keep the downtime to a minimum, but if I had to take this bike into the dealer every time it had an issue I would never see it.

I am currently chasing my 3rd oil leak. My Trophy was purchased in January 2014 new and I have put 10K miles on it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 01:28:22 am by TerryB »
Motorcycle and me, Motorcycle set me free - Daniel Ash

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:30:03 am »
2014 with 7500 miles on it. Half of that two up and around 2400 miles of that it was loaded like a rented mule. No bugs here.

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 02:38:51 am »
My 2013 had all the recalls done with the exception the cylinder head and it has been dirt reliable, even before any of the recalls were done.  I didn't find the ECM recall to be a big change, but to me it did make it more tractable off idle.  I know some had issues with stalling before they're ECM was replaced and that is indeed a dangerous occurrence, but mine has been dirt reliable and has such sweet light handling compared to the K1600 beemer I had before it.  Now I see the new water cooled R1200RT has a "do not ride" recall and factory repurchase on it.  Maybe more computer electrical engineers should research "tin whiskers" and see why NASA does not allow any ROHS compliant lead free components in the space program equipment, Hmmmmm?
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 02:55:20 am »
I have a 2014 Australian model, picked up in November and has 23,000kms on it. After the ECU recall zero issues, and before that it was only the ECU that started to play up.  I don't really use the inbuilt sound etc as yet.

Offline Oceandiving954

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: Miami
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 02:56:53 am »
2014, 3500 miles, flawless.  ( get the latest build date available ).  Good Luck with your decision..
Pacific Blue on the Atlantic :)

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 03:50:18 am »
G'day RussD,

As mentioned in other similar enquiries I own a 2013 TTSE with over 15,000km of mechanically trouble free enjoyable riding (solo and two up), commuting and trips. Only issue I initially had was with the audio system that was replaced under warranty. All upgrades and recalls completed successfully with no residual issues. The move up from a 2007 Sprint ST took some minor adjustment but I can say it's been a great transition. The build quality on my bike is quite good and I've found in general Triumph have been open and positive in rectifying issues for myself and across the fleet.

If your intent is to downsize from the Goldwing to an excellent performing (handling, braking, engine output, transmission, weather protection, comfort, entertainment, carrying capacity, and power delivery) touring motorcycle then the TTSE is hard to beat, in my biased opinion.  There are discussions in this forum that do express negative, and generally valid, experiences with the TTSE. If you analyse the number of members versus number of complaints the latter are in the minority.

The real test is you taking a test ride, and through effective research, make the best decision for yourself.

PS: Welcome to the Forum.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline TT13

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Constitution Hill