Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Best setup please  (Read 3727 times)

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Best setup please
« on: July 03, 2014, 04:40:01 am »
I posted earlier about this and I wanted repost asking the question in a slightly different way.  I have a Scala Rider G9, zumo 590LM and and iPhone.  I can get this combination working using several different pairing combos but all seem to have one or more issues.  Can some one tell me the best setup or pairing combination to make this work best?  The zumo was mounted today at the dealership so was done by a professional.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Best setup please
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:03:05 am »
Can't answer this one but I sure would be interested if someone can.  I have the G9 and an iPhone.  I've been holding off on getting a GPS in part because of all the reported issues.  If someone has a fail safe connection method it just might put me over the buying line
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:11:39 am »
Ok... This is what I have got to work so far.

Music streams from iPhone to TT speakers
Commands from GPS delivered over TT speakers
Phone calls delivered via Scala Rider in helmet -  this works best as you can chat within the helmet reducing noise
GPS commands will stop music - once direction ends the music will resume.

It does not always work 100 % but this is close to being what I want.

Any other feedback out there would be very helpful

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 06:22:55 am »
Scotty, you have it correctly set up. This very closely mirrors my setup, just for the G9 substitute an Autocom unit.

Garmin 590LM hardwired to the bike power and audio in providing guidance instruction to the bike audio system
iPhone 5 connected to bike audio system via USB and providing music. Control of music via left pod controls. Music interrupted by GPS instructions but resumes when directions complete.
iPhone 5 paired via bluetooth to the 'Device' channel of the bike audio unit. This allows caller ID for incoming calls on the info screen and accept or reject choices to be made.
Bike audio unit is paired via bluetooth on the 'Headset' channel to my Autocom (Read G9) Bluetooth module providing telephone conversations to the headset in the helmet.
I have an Autocom unit spliced into the bike speakers to provide the music and GPS instructions back to the Autocom unit. Switch in glovebox to have audio and GPS over bike speakers or back to the Autocom. I leave bike audio output always set to speakers and use this switch to select how I listen.

You will only get incoming calls in this fashion. You can't initiate calls without stopping, opening the glovebox and operating the iPhone direct. This is fine, I don't want to make calls when riding and I often wouldn't accept incoming either.... but good to be able to just in case.

Not sure what else you might want your setup t do?
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 03:52:34 pm »
*Originally Posted by cropbiker [+]

You will only get incoming calls in this fashion. You can't initiate calls without stopping, opening the glovebox and operating the iPhone direct. This is fine, I don't want to make calls when riding and I often wouldn't accept incoming either.... but good to be able to just in case.

This would be an issue for me as I don't want to lose the ability to initiate calls.  I don't do so on  every ride but do so often enough that I wouldn't want to stop just to make a call.  I realize the US has different laws related to phone usage than Europe.  Actually laws differ even within the US states.  But to the extent legal to do so I prefer to retain the ability to initiate calls.  Is there a set up that will allow me to do so?
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:34:12 pm »
I'm not sure if maybe the phone manufacturers had started disabling the feature to be able to voice dial. I use to could do it on my Scala when I had my older Razor phone from Motorola and now the last two phone I've bought you can't do voice dial anymore over Bluetooth. So I pretty much gave up on trying to dial a number over my headsets. I can receive one all day, just not voice dial out.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 04:41:17 pm »
I'm using an iPhone 4 combined with a G9 and I can initiate calls.  I'm hesitant to add a GPS or make any other changes which would affect that.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 05:24:46 pm »
Phone compatibility with the headset is one of the reasons I'm using an Android phone for the second time.  I tried an I phone at first when I upgraded and it did not interface well with other than I stuff.  Not a good selling point as far as I'm concerned.  My Android phones have worked seamlessly with my helmets and allow voice dialing and auto answer (I don't get many calls from anyone other than family on my cell).  I just can't see the appeal of the I phone (which my wife loves BTW) if the primary use for it is as a phone (my purposes).  I get my music from a lot of other sources through the bikes audio.  Just my personal point of view.
Ride safe guys
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies