Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Going in for Head Noise  (Read 4074 times)

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
Going in for Head Noise
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:33:29 pm »
The Trophy is going into the dealer on Monday so he can check a rattle that's developed which sounds like its in the top end of the engine.  It had the head replacement TSB and was very quiet for a couple thousand miles afterwards, but recently its gotten louder.  The dealer is going to check it out, apparently they can determine a lot by putting it on a dyno and checking the valve timing electronically.

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: Going in for Head Noise
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »
I got the bike back Friday.  The dealer said he couldn't find anything amiss and doesn't really know why the bike is louder than others.  He said he will leave the ticket open in case something happens in the future.  I did almost 600 miles on it Saturday and it performed flawlessly except for that rattling noise.  All Triumph triples rattle to some extent or another, but this one is much louder than my Tiger 800.  I have seven months to see what is going to happen with the bike, the warranty runs out and my two year lemon law window expire at the same time.  I've met the lemon law requirements and can turn it back in which is the way I'm leaning, but I can also buy an extended four year warranty if I decide to keep it.  The dealer owes me the 20,000 mile service which should be due sometime this fall and that will go a long way toward deciding the bikes's ultimate fate.  They have to open the top end to adjust the valves and any damage should be evident at that time.

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 02:45:57 pm »
Where and how and how much for the extended warranty?
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 04:10:40 pm »
At the dealer, you have to buy it before the factory warranty expires.  Price depends on how soon you buy it after purchasing the bike.  Buy it sooner and its cheaper.

Offline trampgeo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013 blue
  • City / Town: Phoenix
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:35:34 am »
Hi Earnest.  My dealer quoted me $1100 for an extend warranty when I bought my TT SE a year ago.  If you got a better deal, could you provide the name on the policy so I could look for an agent here in Arizona?  Maybe I could buy it from the person you got yours from.  Three years added onto my Concourse by Kawasaki in 2011 only cost me $330.

-Larry Johnson

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 02:15:47 pm »
*Originally Posted by trampgeo [+]
Hi Earnest.  My dealer quoted me $1100 for an extend warranty when I bought my TT SE a year ago.  If you got a better deal, could you provide the name on the policy so I could look for an agent here in Arizona?  Maybe I could buy it from the person you got yours from.  Three years added onto my Concourse by Kawasaki in 2011 only cost me $330.

-Larry Johnson

That's about the same price Larry, he actually said "Around a grand" so with tax its ~$1100.

Offline Qikslvr

• Trophy Junior
  • Never trust a BIA road.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2016 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Mansfield
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 05:15:39 am »
*Originally Posted by Ernest T [+]
The dealer owes me the 20,000 mile service which should be due sometime this fall and that will go a long way toward deciding the bikes's ultimate fate.  They have to open the top end to adjust the valves and any damage should be evident at that time.

Actually, I think you'll find the valves are only adjusted on the odd services (10k, 30k, 50k).

For what it's worth, I have almost 30k on mine in the 8 months I've had it, and its always rattled like a paint can except for right after a fresh valve adjustment. It makes me nervous but I've had the shop owner Tony (he used to race and I'm a GOOD customer) listen to it and he says its not a problem. Then recently I rode a 6 day rally out of Minnesota (the Butt Lite 7 if you're interested) and it rattled like hell the whole time. Including the time to the start and home from the finish, I rode 8500 miles through 25 or so states in 8 days, and it never had a single hic-up or miss. I got pretty decent mileage during the rally as well.
Troy Martin
AMA, IBA, NIIT WIt
2016 Trophy SE
2013 Trophy SE (totaled at 57K)
2011 Rocket 3 Touring (traded)

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 08:50:16 am »
The Trophy Service Schedule for "Valve clearances - check/adjust" is every 20,000 miles ( 32,000 Km )  :028: