Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: R&G bars  (Read 10176 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Re: R&G bars
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 10:26:30 am »
I have. on the second day of ownership, I parked on a slight slope and as my gf got off the bike tipped. With R&G bars the bike was only at a 20-30 degree angle. No damage to the bike.

Just red faces........................

'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline Chris Higgs

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2 x TT, now an SE
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 01:46:56 pm »
Managed to let roll mine off its side stand last week (it was in gear too).
Standing on right side opening pannier, nothing I could do when it went over.
R&G bars did their job, but did deform quite a lot. Straightened, resurfaced and repainted no problem.
The pannier lid took a beating and likewise the mirror housing from a nasty gravelly bit of road which I think was the reason for the drop.
Lesson learned - make sure side stand is really secure. It happens, (been riding since 1978 before anyone carps) but I am
glad I bought the bars. The whole of the fairing would have been damaged on the kerbstone as it went down. $$$$$$$$
DVSA ERS trainer
National Diploma in advanced motorcycle instruction
IAM Masters (with Distinction)
IAM National Observer and Local Observer Assessor

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 01:54:29 pm »
Bad luck TB. It sounds like I got off lightly. My bars have a gravel rash but no deformity. The pannier on the right hand side also had a rash but near the bottom where you cannot see it.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline kgerry

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 03:54:27 pm »
does anyone know if R&G makes pannier protection bars similar to Wunderlich's for the RT?

Ndo

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 05:38:26 pm »
*Originally Posted by ThickBrit [+]
Managed to let roll mine off its side stand last week (it was in gear too).
Standing on right side opening pannier, nothing I could do when it went over.
R&G bars did their job, but did deform quite a lot. Straightened, resurfaced and repainted no problem.
The pannier lid took a beating and likewise the mirror housing from a nasty gravelly bit of road which I think was the reason for the drop.
Lesson learned - make sure side stand is really secure. It happens, (been riding since 1978 before anyone carps) but I am
glad I bought the bars. The whole of the fairing would have been damaged on the kerbstone as it went down. $$$$$$$$

I had r&g on my C14. Luckly, the very next day after installing them I dropped it.

The R & G bar bent in spit of a very gentle drop. That's why I don't like these bars. I took them off and went with a set of Canyon Cagers made by MC Enterprise. I am hoping they come out with bars for the TT.

INFO: Do you have to take the r&g off before removing the fairing?
could someone please post close up pics of where the rNg are bolted on?

Offline Chris Higgs

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2 x TT, now an SE
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »
They bolt onto the rear engine mount and at the front there is a set of pillars to install in front of the pots.
The whole fairing has to come off apparently (dealer did mine, though I ordered and paid for them before there were any available, so I had to wait till mid Feb to get them fitted.)
I would say they have to deform to absorb the energy, and even at £400 it is cheaper than new fairing panels.
I used to leave the rear pegs down on the Pan, but the Trophy panniers stick out much too far for that to be of use.
Definitely worth looking at something for the panniers, if only rubber pads (also something I had on the Pan!)

Still loving the bike though, goes like a train, firm and planted, loads of carrying capacity, weather protection second to none in my experience, great lights, good seating position and mirrors that I can't fault though it did take some experimentation to get them right. Coming up to 3500 miles now in all weathers. Can't wait for the summer....
DVSA ERS trainer
National Diploma in advanced motorcycle instruction
IAM Masters (with Distinction)
IAM National Observer and Local Observer Assessor

Ndo

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 02:17:02 am »
The guys frm twisted throttle, frm whom I got the R n G for my RT gave me the same BS: that the bars are suppose to bend upon impact. Now how in the hell are you gonna design the pliability of an engine guard bar give the random forces in any one 'dropping' of the bike. These bars are too thin, and to rationalize that they tell you they were designed to bend upon impact...once mine bent, I had to remove them cause they were too close to the fairing. Mind you these were the same brand on a C14 Concour.

If you google police model Concours, there is a web that has videos of cop Concour being dropped. If you watch it, you LL  come away with an unmistakable view of an effective engine guard set up on a bike with a fairing...now , they are ugly as hell, but the RnG got nothing on them. The only thing the RnG have that others don't is looks. They are really nice looking and typically designed to follow the contour of the bike.

I tried to replace the one I bent but the manufacturer would not sell me one side only.

Sorry, I do not mean to demean your bars I am just showing my flags on this experience.

tweedy-bunch