Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Issues since purchase  (Read 8658 times)

Offline maccecht

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochester
Issues since purchase
« on: July 03, 2014, 09:58:23 pm »
Bought my new to me Trophy SE 2012 model on the 17th May 14. Since then it has been back for warped discs, Overheating, and has a distinct weave which makes it unstable.
Discs changed under warranty. Overheating caused by one of the cooling fans being almost seized which blew the fuse so the other fan failed to function. Only came to light going through the Blackwall tunnel.again dealt with under warranty In relation to the weave I can detect a small and I mean small movement in the head bearings. The Triumph mechanics did not dismantle anything on the steering but said they could not detect any problem. They did not take it for a test ride either. I have notched this up and insisted they take it further as I feel the bike is bordering on dangerous as it weaves quite badly at speed. Anyone else had such woes with a two year old bike? Would it be worth me getting extended warranty? After 6 weeks of ownership which a week and a half has been back in the workshop I am becoming a little disillusioned. On the upside I am getting to test ride most of the Triumph range. So far Thunderbird Storm Great engine horrible seating position. Street Triple one word fantasimo. currently Thunderbird LT much more comfy than the Storm but only ridden it 40 miles. May add a few this weekend.
"Think" It is not illegal yet.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
Re: Issues since purchase
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 11:48:14 pm »
Are you sure its not been in a front end accident. If the fan was jammed and you have a front end wobble it could have been repaired badly

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 12:45:38 am »
G'day Maccecht,

I'm saddened to hear your problems mate. Sounds like the dealer is being wee bit lazy. Was the seized cooling fan (RH?)corroded as a result of being left out in the elements on its side stand?

The issue with erratic steering could be to do with:

Steering headstock bearings (they should have been at least physically inspected, lubricated, and tightened);
Fork tube alignment;
Damaged frame; and/or
Worn or incorrectly fitted front wheel bearings (if the wheel is okay).   

Out of curiosity is there any unusual movement in the rear end of your bike?
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline maccecht

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 07:05:51 pm »
*Originally Posted by malcolm [+]
Are you sure its not been in a front end accident. If the fan was jammed and you have a front end wobble it could have been repaired badly
Obviously can't guarantee it but I handled the fan and it is definatly the bearing gone. No evidence of any damage to the bike. In fact it is  very nice condition.

*Originally Posted by Travelling2bob [+]
G'day Maccecht,

I'm saddened to hear your problems mate. Sounds like the dealer is being wee bit lazy. Was the seized cooling fan (RH?)corroded as a result of being left out in the elements on its side stand?

The issue with erratic steering could be to do with:

Steering headstock bearings (they should have been at least physically inspected, lubricated, and tightened);
Fork tube alignment;
Damaged frame; and/or
Worn or incorrectly fitted front wheel bearings (if the wheel is okay).   

Out of curiosity is there any unusual movement in the rear end of your bike?
No problems with the arse end that I noted. Wheel bearings are good I checked that and it had new tyres GT Tourismo fitted on collection. I can feel movement in the head stock but they can't. It is not much maybe a mm but it is enough to make the bike weave. It is not a bad weave as such more like a nudge from a gust of wind. However it is constant and really annoying.
Not sure which fan but I will ask.
Thanks chaps
"Think" It is not illegal yet.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:26:12 pm »
Maccecht

Sorry to hear of your problems. I too bought a launch model year 12. Thankfully not had any major problems.

Talking about the extended warranty. I checked with my dealer and he said Triumph were not doing extended warranty. Which I found strange. I do have the extra year on the engine since the Head recall.

Be interested to hear from anyone regarding extended warranties.

Hope it all gets resolved soon for you.

seadog
seadog

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2014, 11:10:43 am »
You only get head shake if it's initiated by something. I've ridden bikes with slack head bearings and it only shows when the front end is destabilised by something like a change in road surface etc. The back end can do it just the same so don't rule that out.

One of our Italian friends has experienced a issue with a certain tyre make, that might be the source, although it's pretty rare to get a duff tyre these days is not unheard of.

Not very helpful I know but might save you going down a dead end.

Offline Jwayne

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Conyers
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 10:35:11 pm »
Seadog,

I have a 13 Launch Edition and, I bought a 4 year extended warranty at purchase. No issues with the bike except recall work. I have not had the head work done because I haven't found a dealer I trust with a major service.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:37 pm »
Sounds like a head bearing issue but one more thing you might want to check. Make sure they are the right tires for that bike. Just because they say they are GT tires doesn't necessarily mean that are the right build. Our bikes are considered heavy touring bikes and the wrong tires will make all the difference in the world. Check the load rating and speed index. If it has a really high speed index than the tire will be somewhat soft on the sidewall for higher tire temperatures at speed which will cause the tire to "wallow" on a heavier bike even at the right tire pressure. Makes me wonder if the bike didn't have that many miles on it why did they change the tires? Factory tires are supposedly good for about 5000 to 6000 miles even moderately abused.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

tweedy-bunch