Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: And just like that the honeymoon's over  (Read 12660 times)

Offline Ender1912

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '14 TTSE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
And just like that the honeymoon's over
« on: July 06, 2014, 11:55:45 pm »
Bought the Trophy last monday with 7 miles on it.  Took it back Wednesday because the audio didn't work (went out again Thursday) but last night it died on me completely.
I rode to work with no problem but when I came out and switched it on I got an error message that the TES was loading, loading, loading, loading with the warning light flashing.  Then error message for nonfunctional ABS came on. Changed the switch from "off" position to "run" and the dash went dark.  I'd seen some stuff on the forum about a bad audio system discharging the battery so I pulled it and charged it, only to have a repeat of the above when I put it back in this morning.

Let's just say I am not amused.

Offline Abner62

• Trophy Member
  • Abner62
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Morayfield
Re: And just like that the honeymoon's over
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 12:38:40 am »
Sometimes I wonder if a perentage of the problems that owners are experiencingt  are the dealers fault by not prepping the bikes properly before delivery due to their lack of knowledge about the new bike. I was told by my previous dealer service that to top up the coolant they have to remove the whole fairing. What a load of croc. Just food for thought.

Offline Gladiator99

• Trophy Member
  • Be the person you would like to meet
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph trophy
  • City / Town: Kelowna
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:42:02 am »
Wow!
Sounds like you got a bad audio/ electronic system.  I have a similar problem but only with the iPod connection.  It seems to only recognize the iPod connection intermittently.  I will return it to the dealer for a check up and hopefully that is the only problem I will have.
Good luck on getting your bike fixed.
Jim.  :138:
PREVIOUS RIDES:
1953 Ariel 350  1970 Norton Commando  1975 Honda 250 XL  1977 Kawasaki 1000 LTD
1984 Honda V65 Magna 1989 Yamaha Venture
2006 BMW K1200 LT

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:04:28 am »
*Originally Posted by Abner62 [+]
Sometimes I wonder if a perentage of the problems that owners are experiencingt  are the dealers fault by not prepping the bikes properly before delivery due to their lack of knowledge about the new bike. I was told by my previous dealer service that to top up the coolant they have to remove the whole fairing. What a load of croc. Just food for thought.

I tend to agree with this statement Abner62. Faults I've experienced have been dealer related rather than build quality. QueenslandKen's issues with the throttle bodies (Abner his TTSE was from TM @ Virginia - sound familiar?) not seating correctly and my issues with poor audio performance were due to poor quality checks post dealer work than the bikes build quality.

I know the ABS lights blinks until you're rolling and the sensor is picking up data from the wheel. The TES can be tricky taking a little time to register changes. Even yesterday changing from one up to two up the TES showed a fault.  It calibrated the first time I stopped. I haven't experienced, thankfully, the battery draining due the audio unit?

One thing I can attest to is taking the time to know the bike, including taking the fairings off and having a good look at how it works. I recently advised a mate who had problems with the TES showing 'permanent' fault. A simple removal of the side under seat cover off to play with the fuses and relays worked a treat (appeared fuse wasn't seated correctly).
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline rider6661

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy
  • City / Town: rio vista
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 05:42:00 am »
well I got to 600 miles before the audio went out.   very unhappy with Triumph's response. I guess this will be the first and last triumph

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 06:11:41 am »
These stories really concerns me and I feel bad for those folks who experience this.  Buying and owning a bike like this should be a great experience,  not frustrating.  Does anyone know how many TT are sold a year?  It seems,  although definitely not verified,  there are allot of issues with items like audio modules.  Triumph should be able to identify the root cause and fix it... Rather new bikes sold recently still have the issue.  How bad is the issue?  What percentage fail?  Until i know the answer I am concerned it is only a matter of time before I need to deal with issues like this.  I had my first taste of it this week already.  Are these issues rare or is the reality warped on forums as it is here the negatives tend to surface.  Does anyone out there have any real stats?

Online trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 03:45:13 pm »
I'm not aware of any statistics regarding how many have had issues with the Trophy, but this is not an issue that is unique to Triumph.  The BMW K1600 forum is littered with issues on that bike from overheating, to stalling, to failure to start, to audio issues, to top case bouncing, to pulling left (moderate as in mine, to severe), to suspension squeaks, to transmissions jumping out of gear, to final drive slack, to windshield motors failing, etc., etc., etc., and most of those riders are still riding their bikes.  I think if you frequented forums for any make you would find what seemed to be a lot of issues on a particular ride, some serious, some not so serious, and some kind of nit picky.  Mine has had recalls done by a dealer I trust, who just happened to do the service on my two beemers as well, and I don't feel there is any issue they can't handle.  I've seen various makes, models in their service department looking like a salvage yard after a tornado, but I have all the confidence in the world that they were given back to their owners in one safe piece ready to ride.  The point is, how much is any one person willing to endure to derive riding pleasure from a bike that handles, rides and feels the way they like.  That's quite a personal matter that no one other than the owner of the problem vehicle can resolve in their own head.
Ride safe my friend, no matter what your decision.
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Edmonton
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:11:21 pm »
Great points Glenn... And all very true.  I am willing to put up with issues to enjoy the ride I experience on the TT.  My ask has more to do with probability and confidence.  I am planning rides through the Canadian Rockies where battery drain and failure to start is not a good option.  I know all bikes have problems, I ask my question above as intermittent  vs common occurrences of these issues help establish my level of confidence before taking the ride.  There is always risks but I want to simply manage this as best as possible.  I think you are right in  that a forum is probably a bad place to establish reliability...  It is time to just get out and ride and hope for the best.  Again,  thanks for your excellent feedback