Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Observation  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Edmonton
Observation
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:35:20 am »
Hello.. Can someone confirm for me what I saw after starting my bike up today?  When I started my bike up I noticed dripping from the bottom of the bike, right in the foot peg area.  When I investigated what it was it seemed like water... No smell or oily feel.  It went away once bike was running.  What am I seeing and why?  Again, not a mechanical guy so am just curious.  Is it a engine vent or something like that? 

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
Re: Observation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:34:15 am »
You have the infamous leaky coolant hose.   Both ends of the hose probably need to be retightened.  An easy fix,  but the body work needs to be removed.

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:46:12 am »
Thanks... If it was a coolant leak would it not be continuous?  This stops after a few seconds and does not reappear.

Offline Scotty

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 05:55:22 am »
I also checked for a smell or color and it was clear and odourless

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 06:21:59 am »
Silly question.... but had you washed it recently? Been out in the rain? Its surprising where water can sometimes pool and how long it will stay there just to be shaken out of place when the engine starts.

As you say if clear, odourless and not sticky then probably not coolant or oil
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:55:06 am »
Had you just filled with fuel as any spill inside the fuel recess will drain off so could be that but you would then smell it.Just a thought. Or as Cropbiker said if you had washed it and water leaked into the fuel recess it would drain from the same hose.

If it hasn't done it before I wouldn't bother. If the bike was cold did you notice this after a ride as the Radiator cap main not hold pressure dorrect and that can los water.

Before you strip down the body work. Simple check. Check the coolant level. If it is down top it up. Then monitor it.  Very simple job. Look in the owners manual. Don't need a service book for that task.

seadog
seadog

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 09:16:22 am »
*Originally Posted by Scotty [+]
I also checked for a smell or color and it was clear and odourless

I thought the same when mine did this.   Mine also would stop leaking when warm or hot.  I would bet the coolant hose just needs to be snugged up on both ends.

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:05:26 pm »
Scotty, if your bike did like mine, you will notice a small leak when you first start the bike and then after a ride when you park the bike it will leak some more. It is the coolant hose leaking at the thermostat housing. It will require you to take the bodywork and the fuel tank loose to get to it unless you have a really long screwdriver or a long extension and a 7mm socket then the tank can stay on. You will see that coolant runs down beside the oil filter and will leave a white residue on the engine case right beside the foot peg. I suspect that they put the hose clamps on loosely on the engine before assembly of the bike and that when you first crank it up the pressure against the thermostat is enough to force some out by the clamp. I actually took my clamp off and turned it over to make it easier to get to. If you take a white piece of paper and put it down under the drip you will actually see that it has a slight green tint telling you that it is coolant. Mine barely leaked out a cup before I got it fixed. :152:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:07:04 pm by atvtinker »
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

tweedy-bunch