Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: How to check the oil level.  (Read 18459 times)

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
How to check the oil level.
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:23:50 PM »
Hello everybody!!!

I would like to know if any of you can share any trick to check the level of te oil. I try to check through the window but I am not able to see nothing. Not even using a lantern.

A couple of weeks ago I was able to see te oil after 5 minutes "rocking" the bike. The problem, at least for me, was that the colour of the oil is quite similar to the colour of the sound window. Today I have tried to check and I am not able to see anything.

Any trick?

Thanks in advance.  :047: :047: :028: :028: :028:

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
Re: How to check the oil level.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
I have received no answer from anybody... Yes, I agree that it must not be an easy question... But I found my own answer...

As the oil is so dark that is really difficult to see it through the round little window the trick is to lay the bike on the left leg, yes, not being fully vertical. In this position there is no oil visible through the window.

Then somebody helping you moves slowly the bike to get a vertical position. During this movement you can see through the window how the level of the oil appears and when the bike is fully vertical then you can check the right level of the oil.

It works....

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
Thanks Atuti

That was really useful. I must admit I do not check my oil very often. That is a useful tip thanks.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 12:57:37 PM »
Thanks fore the tip, Atuti!
Still looks like a bit of a chore compared to a dipstick! Still I suppose that's progress!

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 10:13:44 AM »
I must admit that this is a down fall to the bike. If you follow the details in the hand book you have to get up 1 hour earlier than you intend to set off  :745: :745:
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline chrisb1

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 11:57:14 AM »
how the hell can you design a bike that takes 2 people to check the oil! According to the manual you can't do it with it on the side or centre stand......why not put a mark on thats allows an on stand check....barking mad
rant over.....has anyone mastered a technique yet?
other than that an awesome machine....off for my first west coast of scotland run in the morning, can't wait (must go and check the oil before we go...hope i don't drop it balancing it upright with my nose a foot off the ground :087:)

Online john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 12:35:27 PM »
Just put my shoulder against the clutch cover area and reached up and pulled the bike upright.  It was worrying.  I suppose the thing to do is check it (with help would be better) put it on the centre stand and check again and remember for next time.  Although it will be slightly canted forward I would have thought would not make much difference.  I wonder if it fills the window when on the centre stand?

Could wait for the light to com eon then fill it  :005:

John

Offline Binnsyboy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Selby
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 08:25:44 AM »
Here's what I have found works.
Put bike on main stand after a ride(oil hot) and leave a few mins for oil to drain to sump(as in manual). Check sight glass(cannot see level).
Start engine and allow bike to tick over.
Check sight glass and you will be able to see oil level gently swirling mid point!

My only slight concern is does this mean our bikes have been over filled with oil or has there been a mistake made in the manual!

tweedy-bunch