Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Top box straps  (Read 13806 times)

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Wickham
Top box straps
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:24:55 pm »
Anyone experience problems with the straps on the top box that hold the lid up. Rather than allowing it to rest on the pillion seat. I've notice that the straps are being pulled out of the rivets secure the straps to the box. This is due to the weight of the top box lid.

A quick fix would be to drill out the rivets and install over side washers with 6mm set bolt and nylon nut. I need to call the dealers to see what they recommend to see if triumph will resolve.

GJ-Trophy :006:

1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Top box straps
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 05:27:11 pm »
There have been several threads regarding similar problems with the rivets in panniers.  You might want to use the  the Search tool to find how this has been handled in the past.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 05:42:56 pm »
The same issue exists and has for some time (at least 4 years that I know of) with BMW's side cases and they have never resolved it with a stronger system.  Lots of workaround solutions on the BMW forums for it.  I suspect Triumph will fall into the same league when it comes to fixing it, even though a coated aircraft cable with slip over connectors like pickup tailgates have would be an ideal solution so you could open the lid further if necessary.  Gee aren't I getting picky, since the Trophy is considerably less than an R1200RT (and you aren't even supposed to ride the 2014 model if you have one!).
Oh well...... :018:
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Wickham
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:51:32 pm »
Thanks guys, tried the search engine but for some reason it didn't show anything. Could be me but if anyone can direct me that would help. My dealership wants me to email him photos so he can take this up with triumph.

It's good that fixes have been done other than my recommendation.

GJ-Trophy :002:

1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline csquared

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Springboro, OH
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:09:44 pm »
Too bad that they didn't setup the restraining straps like Yamaha does on the FJR. It's a retractable strap that works pretty well although they could have made the retractor spring a bit stronger. I have to watch to make sure that the straps for both the side cases and the topbox stay inside.
Every day is a Saturday when you're retired!

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 06:17:08 pm »
Yeah, I've often wished for a retractable feature but then I figured that if/when the retraction spring broke I'd have a problem.  Besides the Trophy set up is the same as the top box on my 2001 Sprint and that unit continues to serve me well after 13 years of hard use.
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 07:53:54 pm »
I've kind of gotten used to being careful when I open the side cases since both my beemers had retractables that could be disconnected, but the attachment point on the cover was less than robust so there was danger of breaking it loose as on those as well.  I guess if we all had only the best of what we wished for on a motorcycle it would cost us $100,000 because it would be hand built from scratch with individually inspected components.  I know I can't afford it, so I'll quit complaining now.
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies