Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: loud engine  (Read 6644 times)

Offline aquitaine

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy sexycrnt
  • City / Town: leics
loud engine
« on: July 12, 2014, 10:01:19 pm »
hi
ive had my se since april this year its coming up to 2 years old this month (27TH ).i have always through the engine loud.took back to dealer who said this was normal .are these bikes loud? mine sounds like a taping noise which gets worse at speed and warm .also ive now got a rumbling which goes when the clutch is pulled in .any ideals please on the sounds
thanks and safe riding

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
Re: loud engine
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:07:39 pm »
That's just what it sounds like.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:47:58 am »
There are several threads on engine noises including a few audio clips.  There is an excellent forum search tool which should make them easy to find.  You can then hear and make your own comparison
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 05:51:18 pm »
Mine makes a tapety noise when warm but so does my mates explorer and the dealers demo bike so I assume that is normal.
What worries me is the very loud ratatat noise it make when first started in the morning my dealer assures me that is normal for a hydraulic cam chain adjuster but my mate says his explorer doesn't do it  :233:
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:03:35 pm by malcolm »

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 11:41:29 pm »
That's not normal. Get your dealer to tell you what other bikes do that and have him start one of the new bikes in the show room.  Do you think they'd sell any bikes if they all did that from new?

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 09:04:30 am »
When I test road the trophy at a1 moto at york the test bike did sound like a tractor. They said that this was normal, my bike was nowhere as loud as that. I had the head work done this spring and must admit that it made no difference to the sound of the engine. All the recall work was done at the same time and an extra years engine warrantee was given by triumph. If your bike falls into the range that is covered by the recall get it done. If it doesn't ask anyway. If you would like to compare the sound yours makes against mine you can, I only live 25 miles from york.

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 11:09:54 pm »
my bike only came from the factory 4 month ago so no recalls required. Thanks for the offer but the bike needs to be stood for at least 48 hours then when you start it you get the rattat noise like a football rattle. I went to A1 today and they still said they all do it so i asked them to start a Trophy or Explorer and if it made the same noise I would go away happy. They then said they would raise a warranty request for a new cam chain tensioner so I will see what Triumph say.

johnbut next time your bike is stood for more than a day, when you start it do you hear a rattle for about a second or too ? 

Offline trampgeo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2013 blue
  • City / Town: Phoenix
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 04:27:03 am »
I have an early 2013 Trophy and I get a rapping tappet(?) sound from the right side when the bike is started cold.  After riding for a few minutes the sound goes away, just the normal tractor sound at low rpm.  The bike has to be really cold to do this.  If it has been sitting out in the 90+ degree heat during the day it won't do this.  Only when the bike is stone cold.  Seems like the colder the morning, the louder the tapping.  Is this the same thing you experience Malcolm?

-Larry Johnson

tweedy-bunch