Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Sena 20 S limited availability. Has anyone got one? If so feedback?  (Read 7210 times)

Offline Djimmy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Missoula, Montana
I have been watching the updates on Sena's website on their new 20S bluetooth headset. Has anyone got one? if so, what do you think? Can you compare it to the SMH10? I have been using the Sena SMH10 for a couple of years, have been happy with it but always anxious to use the latest and greatest. Any feedback?

Offline Djimmy

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Missoula, Montana
Re: Sena 20 S limited availability. Has anyone got one? If so feedback?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:47:57 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, TrupTR but help me out here. What does communicate 0:62 with other brands mean?  0:62???

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 01:25:09 am »
*Originally Posted by TrupTR [+]
After talking to a good sales rep, he confirmed the new 20s will now communicate :062 with other brands
With the 5.0 version of the SMH-10 firmware, it too will communicate quite well with other units. I've personally confirmed that it works well with two different Scala G9 units.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:58:53 am »
The SMH 10 will communicate with other brands with the latest firmware update. The 20s seems to have more features, dual bluetooth, radio, external aerial so more transmission range etc.  The physical setup is also more flexible as you can change microphones (3 different sorts), plug in earbuds (with a proper female socket rather than the prone to breaking flexible socket) while having the speakers installed, which is something you had to change helmet clamps to get on the SMH10.

If I wanted a new unit the SMH20s would be it.

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 03:45:03 am »
I have the Sena 20S. No previous Sena to compare it with. Intercom is great. lots of good features, separate volume for each connection. FM radio seems to be uselace unless your sitting on the broadcast tower. If I hook the first Sena bluetooth channel to the Triumph, I get FM and my Garmin, and, if i then set the second Sena bluetooth device to my iPhone 4s, the incoming calls are fabulous, however tapping the phone button on Sena wont enable Siri. So I cant voice command my phone. I can push the Siri button on the phone while riding, and wake her up to Sena and then continue with voice commands.
If I connect the 4s as the first device, the phone is great with all its voice command and Sena phone button tap to access Siri. Then when I connect the TT as the second device, I get no radio, no Garmin no nothing, no TT. Sena second device does not seem to work with TT. Sena  second device doesn't seem to work with Siri. Battery life is fantastic. Ambient mode is very useful.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 02:02:40 pm »
*Originally Posted by donmoe [+]
With the 5.0 version of the SMH-10 firmware, it too will communicate quite well with other units. I've personally confirmed that it works well with two different Scala G9 units.

Don

I can also confirm Sena SMH-10 to Scala G4 works. Interestingly, my partner using the G4 could hear me from further away than I could hear him.

Also just confirmed the Sena SMH10 works with a Nolan N-com helmet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:25:30 pm by azgman »
Serial BMW rider

Offline jd4020

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Trophy - blue
  • City / Town: Iowa
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 11:58:45 pm »
*Originally Posted by nert [+]
I have the Sena 20S. No previous Sena to compare it with. Intercom is great. lots of good features, separate volume for each connection. FM radio seems to be uselace unless your sitting on the broadcast tower. If I hook the first Sena bluetooth channel to the Triumph, I get FM and my Garmin, and, if i then set the second Sena bluetooth device to my iPhone 4s, the incoming calls are fabulous, however tapping the phone button on Sena wont enable Siri. So I cant voice command my phone. I can push the Siri button on the phone while riding, and wake her up to Sena and then continue with voice commands.
If I connect the 4s as the first device, the phone is great with all its voice command and Sena phone button tap to access Siri. Then when I connect the TT as the second device, I get no radio, no Garmin no nothing, no TT. Sena second device does not seem to work with TT. Sena  second device doesn't seem to work with Siri. Battery life is fantastic. Ambient mode is very useful.

Same problem as above getting s20, iPhone and Trophy to play nicely. I finally received a tech support response from Sena and it appears we're out of luck. Not sure why if this is the latest advancement in Bluetooh. As much as I dislike my Scala g9x it connects to iPhone and Trophy just fine. My question to tech support and their response appears below. Maybe it'll help other folks figure this out.

My submission:

Hello - setting up a new S20 and I'm having problems getting iPhone 5 and Trophy SE to play nicely. Following scenario in the manual, paired iPhone 5 first. Works great - Siri control, music, everything. Next I paired the Trophy SE as 2nd phone. Paired no problem, but nothing I do will get sound to come from the headset. Trophy is paired, playing, but no audio can be heard from the S20 headset. Have tried multiple runs at it, factory clears, and unpairings. Nothing changes.

My understanding was this was the chief selling point of the S20 - 2 independent Bluetooth modules. That would be idea for this scenario. What am I doing wrong? My goal is to have the phone in my pocket, connected, and play music from iTunes, take calls, and have Siri control. And also have Trophy connected and be able to use the FM receiver and XM radio on that and stream to the headset using Bluetooth. So far, no combination is working to achieve this.

Any insight and assistance appreciated.

And the response....

You won't be able to use the the 20S as a second mobile phone, since Second mobile phone is HFP and the Triumph will need A2DP.

The cross road will be playing music from either the iPhone or the Triumph. Since A2DP is the primary connection to transmit music from the iphone and Triumph, the 20S will only be able to handle one A2DP connection.

So it you want Triump Audio

1. Use A2DP selective Pairing to Triumph
2. User Phone Selective Pairing to the iPhone (phone functions only no music or navi)

It has dual bluetooth module for intercom connection so that it can handle over 4 intercoms, not blue bluetooth chips to handles extra a2dp connections. It can be easily mis-interpreted.

Regards,
[Sena support person]

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 03:58:08 am »
I just received my responce from Sena today;
My Question to Sena.
I have a 2013 Triumph Trophy SE. Sena 20s
A couple comments:
Would like a higher volume level. I wear ear plugs to cut the wind noise for less fatigue. Greater volume would be appreciated.
The FM radio is useless. Unless your next to a radio station. Very disappointing.
Problem:
If I connect my iPhone 4s as the first device, I can receive calls and access Siri through the Sena phone button "tap". All good
Connecting the Triumph as the second device, connects, but don't hear the Triumphs radio or GPS, or anything. As if it didn't connect.
OR
If I connect the Triumph as the first device, I can connect to the Triumph radio, GPS, and what ever else is connected to the Triumph.
Connecting the iPhone as the second device, I can receive calls, but can not access Siri to make calls, or voice command my phone?
If I push the Siri button on the PHONE itself (not good while riding a motorcycle), then I can voice command my phone.

Reply from Sena

Sorry for the long wait time.
Be sure to use the proper pairing technique to get the configuration you wish to achieve
Use Phone Selective Pairing to the iphone
Use A2DP (MEdia) Selective Pairing to the Triumph
The FM is currently being looked into on how to resolve the weak FM. And the Max Volume is also being addressed, there won't be anything I can do as of the moment, however I will say earplugs service as a hearing protection to block out sounds and indiscriminately so the use of an earplug will adversely affect the performance of the 20S volume. I can tell you that we set the max volume assuming the ride does not ride with hearing protection and this can damage a person hearing.

Regards,

I believed I tried the suggested configuration, but it did not work.
So we don't have a solution at this time.
I think I paid a lot of money for a well touted system that does not deliver. Makes me mad.