Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: reflection off instruments  (Read 2165 times)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
reflection off instruments
« on: July 14, 2014, 12:16:49 pm »
Hi

I know this has been discussed before and I was going to reply to one of those threads but it said that the thread had not been active for more than 120 days so unless sure please start a new thread - so I did. 

There was discussion about reflections and some people seem to see it and others not.  In the strange circumstances we have here with lots of sun  :017: I have been wearing poloroid type dark glasses and noticed lots of glare.  BUT if I lift my visor nearly all the glare goes away.  The visor does have a clear pinlock in but I was surprised.  Why should the visor make such a difference to what looks like glare off the instruments?  I repeated the experiment many times on the way home last week and back in today and every time it was the same.  I am driving into the sun on both journeys.  I can see my helmet etc quite clearly in the reflections so it is not just sun glinting off the visor.

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Re: reflection off instruments
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 06:48:42 pm »
I think this is a problem with alot of vehicles, and I've had it with aircraft instruments too!

One reason why I bought a new SHOEI NEOTEC modular helmet, with a very handy internal drop down sunvisor (I also wear prescription glasses) that works much like a helicopter helmet's visors in these GLARE situations.  So, now I can block glare easily with a flick of my hand using the internal sunvisor down at highway speeds, or in slow heavy traffic with the helmet chin-piece in the upper position for max cooling or talking to buddies on a motorcycle next to me. 

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/Helmet.aspx?Neotec&h=21&t=1

Before I bought this helmet, at the Americade Motorcyle Rally at Lake George, NY during the first week of June 2014, the SHOEI helmet rep let me take one out for test rides, as I took three demonstratin bikes out for simultaneous test rides and I fell in love with it!  So, using Rally discount, I bought one!  Maybe see you there next year?  So much fun!

Ny 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro-4X has white backing gages and sun glare also blinds them out some times!  PITA for sure.

PITA = Pain in the A**
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 08:20:27 pm »
All instruments will have glare when the sun is at that certain angle and you are riding on the perfect heading...

I rarely am in such a stable combination of those 2 that any bright reflection is there to annoy for more than a second or two...

I too have the Shoei Neotec and the internal visor is great if the glare is too constant...
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 08:25:31 pm »
I too, have the Shoei Neotec helmet and it helps the glare situation a bunch. Sometimes I flip up the shield and just use the shaded visor even on the highway. I had noticed the same thing about having a pinlock shield, but I would hate to take it off and then need it later while out on a long ride. My trips usually consist of going from the extremely hot South to the moderate temperatures of the North to even cooler mountain air temps where a shield will definitely fog up without the pinlock.  :002:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 12:07:02 am »
Looks like the TRIBE has spoken: three thumbs up for the SHOEI NEOTEC modular helmet with internal sunvisor to help this glaring situation!
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!