Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Austria Tour  (Read 1657 times)

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
Austria Tour
« on: July 15, 2014, 04:01:09 pm »
I've just returned from a 2000 mile, 7 day tour to Lake Achensee in Austria. I thought it was worth reporting that the Trophy performed brilliantly all the way! It's clearly in its element on this sort of trip!

I had put a pair of Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT tyres on two days before the trip. They were excellent. The weather was a bit 'mixed' but the PR4's worked very well both wet and dry. I never had a problem with the tight bends on the alpine roads. The TPMS reported low pressure in the rear one morning. I checked and sure enough it was 36psi. I pumped it up to 40 and had no more problems. I'll keep an eye on it in case it's got a slow leak. I hope the PR4 give decent mileage, because at the moment they seem like a good match for the Trophy. Better than the original Pirelli's IMHO!

There were eight bikes in the group and four of them were Triumphs, but mine was the only Trophy! It's good seeing Triumph being so popular!

There was a minor issue with the police in Germany that I think some of you might be interested in. Three of the group were fined by the police for illegal overtakes. Everyone was a little confused because they had overtaken in a stretch where the solid line /dotted line central marking was in their favour. The police, who lacked any form of compassion, eventually explained that those markings only allowed for overtakes of 'slow' vehicles. Apparently there had been a 'no overtaking' sign at the beginning of the solid/dotted section. So be careful in Germany - solid/dotted central lines don't give automatic overtaking rights!
We believe that the police were on some sort of 'training' session. Within a couple of minutes there were four police motorcyclists in attendance! They must have been waiting somewhere! Immediate 90 euro fines were collected on the threat of bike confiscation! The group managed to find enough cash so that nobody lost their bike!

The Trophy returned an overall fuel consumption of 62mpg according to the computer. I haven't done the maths to confirm this 'cos I really can't be bothered! I do know that I only filled up every other fuel stop compared to the rest. Only a Honda Pan got anywhere near the same range!

So all in all, a great trip! Mixed weather, mixed roads, but the Trophy took it all in its stride!
I always thought it was a great bike - it's nice to confirm it!

:047:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 10:12:04 pm by CoJaW »

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Austria Tour
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2014, 05:11:50 pm »
Glad you had a good trip, despite the German Police episode, some pictures maybe?
An old biker must be a good rider