Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear brake not as effective as I think it should be, how's yours?  (Read 15144 times)

Offline Duck Tape

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
Hi - I have about 1,600  km on my '14 Trophy SE, from new it has seemed that the rear brake pedal is mushy, it requires a lot of travel of the pedal for the brake to engage, and when it does engage it doesn't do a lot.  To provide a bit of context I have been riding dirt and street for just over 40 years, last bike (for six years) was a 650 V-Strom with ABS, the new Trophy is the largest bike I have ever had.

I have had the bike in to the dealer twice to have their mechanic address the rear brake, but not much improvement either time.  Today I stopped in at the dealer and asked their service manager to try my bike, afterward he said the rear brake was soft, but then he and I tried a '14 Trophy SE demo bike and it's brakes were pretty much the same.  The service manager's conclusion was that the rear brakes on this model simply aren't that great, which came as a bit of a disappointment given the positive comments I have seen on this site.

Given the subjective nature of good versus meh rear brakes, can I ask if anyone else here with a recent model Trophy SE could try a simple experiment for me - from a speed of perhaps 60 km/h (40 mph) on dry asphalt, pull in the clutch and push hard on just the rear brake.  Does the rear brake have the power to lock up the rear tire (presumably causing the ABS to engage)?  On my bike the rear tire doesn't come close to locking up (or engaging ABS), it would be nice to know if this was normal, or if there is still an unresolved problem.

Thanks for any advice,

Mark

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Rear brake not as effective as I think it should be, how's yours?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 10:37:32 pm »
Sounds to me like you have air in your lines.  Not only are the symptoms classic of air in the lines but your experience mirrors my initial reaction with my 2013.  The difference is that my dealer agreed that the rear brake was not right and he bled the brakes not once but twice until we were both satisfied.  I believe others have had similar experiences.  Those Trophy brakes should be top notch and your dealer is doing you a dis-service to say "they all do it". 

I suggest you insist he bleed those brakes repeatedly until they perform perfectly.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline 1150newguy

• Ex Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 11:31:38 pm »
Same issue with my 2014. I am going to try bleeding it.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:39:17 pm »
I'd take it to the dealer and have him do it.  Insist until it feels right.  Supposedly Triumph insists you need their tool.  I had a tech tell me it wasn't really necessary but as long as it is under warranty why not have it done by the book. 
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 02:08:10 pm »
The rear brake on my2013 SE is not highly aggressive either.  Although the pedal does not feel mushy, actually feels stiffer than I would have thought given that it is linked to the right front caliper. I adjusted the pedal up quite a bit and that really helped - easier to get more force on it from my foot, and did get more aggressive after a few thousand miles of wearing in.

If it feels mushy I would have the dealer bleed it according to the service manual.

Adjusting the pedal position is very easy, remove the plastic trim plate (two screws), loosen the 12mm lock nut on the threaded rod and turn the treaded rod using the flats at the top end near the master cylinder.
Cheers,
Ken

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 04:05:47 pm »
If you adjust the rear brake lever don't forget to adjust the brake light switch as well or your brake light will be on permanently and that means your cruise control wont work.

Offline Duck Tape

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 09:34:46 pm »
The consensus, which I agree with, is to go back to the dealer and insist they keep bleeding the rear brake until it works well.  The push-back I will get is that the service manager is now of the view that my rear brake on my bike is as it should be because it is about the same as the demo bike we compared it to.

So back to my earlier request, could someone who thinks their rear brake works effectively please let me know if you are able to lock up the rear wheel on dry pavement with the clutch pulled in.  If I knew this was possible it would definitely help me in my pug-tussle with the local service manager.

And if someone else is aware of an alternative way to simply and objectively demonstrate what properly functioning brakes should be capable of, I am open to those suggestions.

Thanks,

Mark
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:47:29 pm by Duck Tape »

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:01:34 pm »
Yes. I can lock up the rear wheel if I make an effort to do so.  I think your service manager should not be using the demo as a benchmark.  Especially when a number of bikes have been shown to need repeated bleeding to get it right.   Did it ever occur to the service manager that the demo also may need to have the brakes bled.   Unsafe brakes are unsafe brakes, regardless of the motorcycle manufacture and model.  Brakes are one of those areas where it isn't acceptable to say "they all do that"
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:51:36 pm by w8d4it »
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

tweedy-bunch