Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: You need to see this review  (Read 8023 times)

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 02:14:15 am by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline trophied

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: New Braunfels, Tx
Re: You need to see this review
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 02:50:49 am »
The cons comment on the beemer about 24 being a lot of valves to adjust is right on target.  Too bad they didn't note that the 18,000 mile service with valve clearance check/adjustment is over $800 US.  That's why life got simpler and less expensive for me after I retired, not to mention 6000 mile service intervals on the beemer.  I think the service intervals on the FJR are 4500 miles if I remember correctly from when I looked at the new ES model before I got the Trophy.  Very interesting.
Thanks for the link,
Glenn
One of the Founding Members of the Twisted Trophies

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »
I have ridden the new FJR and the Trophys handling if far sportier, more flickable and loads more ground clearance on tight twisty roads the Trophy would leave the Yam for dead. I think they should have removed the top box with all that weight they said was in it. It was not a level playing field

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 04:55:43 pm »
As you say it wasn't a totally like for like comparison with the Trophy being the only bike with a top box.... it was bound to get a higher C of G doing that with the adverses effects of that!  :233: :233:

As for some of the other percentages.... the K1600 better handling than the Trophy.... that is just bo :172:cks...
They were obviously test riding a different K1600 to the one I test rode which hand the handling of a super tanker!!!

And 'grin factor.'........ Only for those with IPS (Inadeqaute Penis Syndrome) needing 6 cylinders to compensate for something....
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46:21 pm »
The bmw 1600 always gets rave reviews.   It MIGHT be better than the Trophy but no way it is $7,000 better.   All other reviews of the FJR, state it's suspension is lacking and needs $2000 to correct.  Did the FJR's suspension magically get transformed?  I doubt it.

For me,  the Trophy has been fantastical and I can't imagine there is a better choice.
  :001:

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 03:19:23 am »
*Originally Posted by triucati [+]
The bmw 1600 always gets rave reviews.   It MIGHT be better than the Trophy but no way it is $7,000 better.   All other reviews of the FJR, state it's suspension is lacking and needs $2000 to correct.  Did the FJR's suspension magically get transformed?  I doubt it.

For me,  the Trophy has been fantastical and I can't imagine there is a better choice.
  :001:
I was considering buying a K1600GTL until somebody mentioned the TTSE, which I never even heard of at the time. If both were the same price, I would still buy the TTSE. The TTSE made me lose interest in the K1600GTL.

Are you enjoying the heat there? It was ~105° F the day we left Reno to come back to SSF.

BTW, I bought  another house in Reno and I am keeping the TTSE there (on the very top of University Ridge with a great view). We now own three houses, two in Reno.

When will you be riding again?

-Don- in 70°F  South San Francisco,  CA
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline triucati

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: SOLD: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Carson City, NV
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2014, 04:15:37 am »
Hi Don,

Unfortunately,  five more months before I can ride, which will be ski season.   Hard to imagine but I probably won't ride again until next spring.   I feel sorry for Kate (my Trophy).  Surgery went well,  but being a spectator of life (recovery) is not so much fun.   Can't wait for ski season.  :152:

Offline mgpoma

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Redlands, CA
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 02:25:41 pm »
I looked at all of these bikes including the Rt which is not for sale at this time due to the shock issue. Rode a 2012 BMW 1220 rt and the FjR. Could not get a ride on the Kawi but no matter did not have all the features I was looking for.

First off, if I was looking for raw power I and price I would have included the Ducati Multistrada Gran Tourismo in the comparison. That bike looks like it is doing 100 standing still. Riding position on the FJR was a bit too forward for me. The K1600 is better compared to full on tourers like the Goldwing in my opinion. Just a really big bike and priced more like a wing.

Overall I am very happy with the Trophy. Power features and ride comfort are great value for what you pay. Time will only tell on maintenance and durability but I am confident from what I have seen here on this site that Triumph has worked through the first year glitches.

Have fun and ride!

tweedy-bunch