Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: High-Speed Highway Miles per Day?  (Read 10307 times)

Offline Northkaibab

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Akron, OH
High-Speed Highway Miles per Day?
« on: July 19, 2014, 03:42:32 pm »
I'm planning a 2 week ride from Ohio to Colorado and Utah. The first challenge is about 1,500 miles of Interstate highways between Akron and Colorado Springs. This is a long, boring ride on high-speed freeways with lots of truck traffic. But its a necessary "investment" if a guy from Ohio wants to experience the glory of the American West. I have a choice: do this segment in two long days of roughly 750 miles or three easier days of about 500 miles. I want to balance getting to Colorado safely and quickly, while still having energy for the Western part of the trip.

I'm in good physical condition. Last year I did several long freeway rides on my Yamaha Super Tenere. I was usually pretty beat-up after about 500 miles due to buffeting, a "touchy" throttle, lack of cruise control and ergonomics that didn't quite fit me. That's why I traded the S-Ten for a Trophy. My TTSE is a different story...between great wind protection, wonderful control "feel", cruise and good ergonomics for my particular body, I've felt pretty decent after one-day rides of 400 to 500 miles.

But a one-day ride is one thing, two weeks is another.

I'd be interested in the experience of those of you who have done some long rides on the Trophy, not Iron Butt stuff, just regular, long tours. When you needed to cover a lot of highway miles over several days, how many miles were you averaging in a day??? - assuming about a 70-75 mph pace, good weather and moderate traffic.

thanks, Mike

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: High-Speed Highway Miles per Day?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 04:33:12 pm »
750 miles a day on the Trophy is not hard at all.  If you want to maximize your time in the west AND if you are an experienced rider I suggest the 750.  I ride 1700 miles to NY 2-3 times a year.  Because I've made the trip so many times I seldom take more than two days.  A couple of times I've ridden it straight through. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 12:10:19 am »
Hi Mike,

I'm currently on the return leg of a two-month tour around the west on my Trophy. As w8d4it mentioned, it's not difficult to make lots of mile on the Trophy. Just be sure to keep yourself hydrated and cool. I rode along I-10 in Arizona with the outside temperature at 115F. The bike handled it fine; I just stopped frequently for some Gatorade.

Other than Interstates, there are some good two-lane roads to consider, such has Kansas-96. Far fewer trucks, and presumably far fewer police  :028:.

Have a great trip!

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Desertaire

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: El Paso TX
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 02:11:37 am »
Hey Don are you going to make it to Taos this year? Ken and I are bringing 4 more people (including another Trophy) with us this year. The TnT website says there's over 35 people signed up.

Steve

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 02:40:06 am »
*Originally Posted by Desertaire [+]
Hey Don are you going to make it to Taos this year? Steve
Hi Steve, 

Sorry, I won't make it to TnT this year. If the timing were better, as it was last year, I would certainly have included it.

Have a good time there again.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Ernest T

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Salado, Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:19:39 am »
I regularly do 15 hour/750 mile days on the Trophy. Its not Gold Wing comfortable, but not too far off.  If there was a cheap way to install highway pegs it'd be real close.

Offline DonTom

• Trophy Master
  • Don & Tom in Gulin, China
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 TTSE & 9 others
  • City / Town: Auburn,CA or Reno,NV
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2014, 04:24:21 am »
*Originally Posted by donmoe [+]
rode along I-10 in Arizona with the outside temperature at 115F. The bike handled it fine;
Been there, done that. Overnight LOW was then above 100°F. But that was many, many years ago. Mid 1970's or so.

I don't think I could survive that on a bike these days. I left Reno last week because it was above 100°F there. I got tired of that real quick. It was okay in the house or car with the A/C on, but just too hot for me to do anything outside, including riding.

-Don- (in nice cool 65°F South San Francisco, CA)
1971 Black BMW R75/5/* 1984 Red Yamaha Venture* 2002 Yellow Suzuki DR200SE* 2013 Blue Triumph Trophy SE*2016 Orange/Black Kaw Versy 650 LT*2016 Orange Moto Guzzi Stelvio* 2017 Gold/Black Harley FLTRU RoadGlide Ultra*2017 Zero 6.5DS* 2017 Zero SR13 w/Pwr Tank*2020 Energica SS9

Offline Northkaibab

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Akron, OH
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 02:16:26 pm »
 :047:

Thanks, guys, I appreciate your willingness to share your long-distance experience!

I still have almost two months to refine the plan for this trip. But right now I'm thinking three days from Akron to Great Sand Dunes NP which is my first overnight destination in Colorado. That's conservative by your standards, but it reflects an important word used by w8d4it: "experienced".

I've averaged about 15k miles a year since I got back into riding about 5 years ago. And a lot of that is on Interstates at rush hour as part of my commute. I've also done a number of week long rides averaging 350 or so miles per day. So I'm comfortable with those kinds of riding, and I'm very comfortable riding the Trophy.

But neither of those is quite the same as riding long Interstate segments several days in a row. So it makes sense to be a little cautious on the trip west and avoid the temptation to push too hard. After I get more (specific) experience on the ride west, I'll probably do the Colorado to Ohio segment in two days on the trip home.

Don, thanks for the tip about rte 96 in Kansas and Colorado. I'll probably jump on that in central Kansas. It leads straight to US50 in Pueblo, which takes me up the Arkansas river canyon, a ride I've wanted to do on a motorcycle for many years now.

Once again, thanks so much for sharing your experience!   :028:

Mike