Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Throttle by wire  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Teabag

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kelowna
Throttle by wire
« on: July 19, 2014, 09:11:26 pm »
Hi, I'm new to the forum and would like to throw this topic into the mix.
Has anyone experienced any problems with the throttle by wire system?
I've just had my 2014 SE back to the dealer to try and track if there's a problem on the throttle. They claim to have seen no fault codes when they diagnosed it and that Triumph have not heard of any other instances.
During the  time I've had it (since mid June) I've experienced 3 instances of the bike rapidly accelerating, 2 of which I can remember being on bends. The first two instances I doubted myself and due to extremely high temperatures we're having in our locale believed that maybe my glove had "stuck" to the rubber of the grip and simply moving my hand had caused an input to the throttle. The third instance, however, last Saturday, I'm sure that I wasn't exerting any input on the throttle and that when the bike accelerated on the bend I got into a slight panic about how quickly I was headed for the kerb and know that I had shut right down, grabbing at the brakes and coming to a stop under ABS assistance.
I'd be interested in hearing if anyone's experienced anything similar, maybe doubting themselves as to what might have happened and not reported it as a problem.

Offline AVI.INC

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hawthorne CA.
Re: Throttle by wire
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 10:55:24 pm »
Hi with over five thousand miles many of which in very hot climate I've not had any indication of the throttle sticking or any acceleration issues
I must be going too fast for too long evey time i get back i'm younger!!

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:20:13 pm »
I am not saying you are wrong you may have a faulty throttle but I thought the bike was serging when I first got it. also when I braked suddenly, normally you release the grip on the throttle and it returns to closed but on this bike you have to remember to close the throttle it does not slip back under your hand unless you completely remove you hand from the grip. Could do with a stronger return spring

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »
My Trophy just turned 60K miles today and the only similar symptoms that I have noticed with mine are that the bike sometimes feels like it may be accelerating slightly in a curve when it's on cruise-control, and that may actually be the correct operation to compensate for a slight slowdown in the curve. In any case that has never caused me to be concerned that the bike was running away with me. I just close the throttle briefly to disengage the c/c and proceed through the curve.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

Offline Teabag

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kelowna
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2014, 05:47:01 am »
Thanks for your comments guys.
I must admit, it's the lightest throttle I've had under my right glove.
For sure, I was never on cruise control when it happened, though I could understand the physics behind the sensation donmoe.
Malcolm, I agree with you entirely about the stronger return spring and certainly I'm aware that my perceived problem may be of my own making, I'm just so convinced that the last time it happened it wasn't.

Offline ride200mi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph SE
  • City / Town: Central CA
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »
I too have had no problem as mentioned. However... It does have a very light pull on the throttle. When I first got mine, it was a bit of a learning curve to keep it steady. But now I don't need to grip as hard and that helps in keeping me from to much input.
Life is a limited time offer, live deliberately, ride often!!!

Offline atrophy

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 13 Trophy SE silver
  • City / Town: SW Ohio
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 01:15:32 am »
I just returned from a trip to West Virginia and about 600 miles of twisties.  I experienced what you are describing many times and it's because my hand is slightly pushing the throttle open as I am removing my fingers from the throttle to cover the front brake.  i have large hands and thought adjusting the brake lever would help but that does not add room between the throttle and brake lever.
2016 Tiger 800XR  Black
2013 Trophy Lunar Silver

Exclusively using recycled electrons since 2004
IBA 24605

Offline donmoe

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 03:32:45 am »
*Originally Posted by atrophy [+]
i have large hands and thought adjusting the brake lever would help but that does not add room between the throttle and brake lever.
I too have the same issue with large hands (XXXL gloves) and found a pair of Grip Puppies were the perfect and inexpensive solution on my Trophy as well as previously on my Concours-14. They increase the grip diameters just enough for me as well as cushion the grips, reducing vibration,. They slip on quite easily after soaping up the grip and the inside of each Grip Puppy.

Don
2015 BMW R1200GSA 2004 BMW R1150RT
2013 Triumph Trophy SE 1981 Kaw KZ1000 Shaft
2010 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1974 Kaw Z1
2008 Kaw Concours 14 ABS 1973 Kaw H1

tweedy-bunch