Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Instability  (Read 3954 times)

Offline maccecht

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Rochester
Instability
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:21:51 pm »
Off the back of this thread.
https://www.triumph-trophy.com/index.php/topic,2683.0.html
I still have instability issues. I am almost at the point of returning the bike as I feel is it bordering on dangerous. Best way to describe the instability is like riding on Triangular tyres which want to tip you over at any moment. If you take your hands of the bars it heads right towards the camber in the road. I have had head bearings tweaked checked everything for straightness forks etc wheel alignment wheel bearings wheel tightness and can find no fault. Yesterday I felt the front was going to washout on a couple of simple slow roundabouts. Tyres are OE Angel GTs Tyre pressures are correct checked with my calibrated PCL gauge.
I am now losing faith in the bike and am starting to think I have a lemon. Anyone else had similar issues? I have been riding for over 30 years and can safely say this is the worst instability issues I have ever had with a bike discounting my Mach 1 Kwak but that done great donuts  :034:
"Think" It is not illegal yet.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Instability
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 09:44:41 pm »
Unfortunately, I would have to agree in your assessment that you have a lemon.

My Trophy is the most stable bike I have had and I have never once felt unsteady on it. Even when I had to ride for some miles on a slowly deflating tyre.

Is there another dealership close enough for you to go to in order to get a second opinion?
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:56:33 pm »
Have to semi-agree with Cropbiker.   Other than my Triumph Sprint ST, the Trophy is the most stable bike I've ridden.  And with more than 40 years of riding, that is a lot of bikes.  If your Trophy is unstable then it isn't the norm.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 11:14:20 pm by w8d4it »
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline towersk

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy Launch
  • City / Town: Granger IN
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:13:17 pm »
Sounds like there is something very wrong.  Did the dealer check the oil level in the front shocks?  Can you tell any difference between the comfort, normal and sport mode?  At this point I would take a demo ride on another Trophy so have something to compare your bike with and talk to you dealer about.

Cheers,
Ken

Offline nert

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hopewell, NJ
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:50 am »
Trophy is very stable. I love the handling, and road hugging feel. I am very confident to lay it down in the curves and stay in the throttle. very predictable and comfortable.

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 04:23:40 am »
I must agree with getting a second opinion especially checking the front forks: oil level/quality, TES, etc. The TTSE is very stable at speed and this issue is certainly not normal for any modern bike.

I experienced occasional wandering in the last 2000km of the OEM Angel ST tyres whilst cornering but not to the degree you describe. The Michelin PR4 GT are a huge step up in tyre handling performance.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 04:46:17 am »
My suggestion would be to have another TT owner take your bike for a ride to verify what you are experiencing, then accompany you to the dealer. Strength in numbers!
STONEY

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 11:00:58 am »
Sounds bad.  As it is the front try 40PSi in the front and see if it more stable.  I have been convinced by a mechanic to go up to 40 (he wanted 42) in the front and it made a difference.  Nothing like as dramatic as you describe though.  Although has got rid of some 'white lining'.

As you describe you seem to have thought of everything.  I did have a bad tyre on the Sprint that when I lost complete confidence in it (washing out in the wet and absolutley no feel just seemed to be floating) .  When the tyre was taken off (with lots of tread still) the shape was very badwith cupping either side of the centre line.  The fitter said he had never seen anything like it.  As you say a sort of old fashoined V tyre with a very small centre contact patch.  This was only visible when off and deflated.