2017 SE value by TStol
[Yesterday at 11:28:13 pm]

Left the Fold - at least for now... by digital
[Yesterday at 09:04:37 pm]

movement/play at the rear wheel by digital
[Yesterday at 09:00:40 pm]

Free Rear shock... by Drphil
[Yesterday at 05:04:33 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: ENGINE HAS FUEL PROBLEM WHEN HOT  (Read 3092 times)

Offline doug klein

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 1200
ENGINE HAS FUEL PROBLEM WHEN HOT
« on: July 21, 2014, 10:46:09 pm »
The 1200 trophy has a progressing issue. If the fuel tank is topped off - she runs fine. As the fuel level decreases, the engine begins to lack throttle response if the engine is operating at normal temperature. Opening the fuel cap does not alleviate the issue. As the engine runs hotter ( say on the highway on a hot day) the throttle lacks response and the fuel flow is sporadic and sputters - again opening the fuel cap has no effect. Increasing the throttle has no positive effect and the engine then lacks power. Sometimes while at cruise while the sputtering is in progress - the engine will run out of fuel but yet there is plenty in the tank. I pull over to the side of the road and in a few minutes she fires right up and runs for a while until the problem reoccurs. I then will fill the fuel tank  to the top and it will run with out issue for awhile ( say 3/4 of a tank) and if it is a hot day and the engine is Hot ( normal operating temperature) - the fuel seems to be intermittent to the carburetor's.  Do you have familiarity with this specific issue? a commonality with this for a fix would be much appreciated. Thank-you

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: ENGINE HAS FUEL PROBLEM WHEN HOT
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 11:05:27 pm »
Doug.... Firstly welcome to the forum.... Sorry you are having problems :400:

Perhaps you can confirm, because it is not clear from your post, if you are talking about the 2012 onwards Trophy 1215 or the older 4 cylinder Trophy 1200 from late 90's early noughties?

The impression I get is that you mean for the older model and I need to point out that this forum is for the 1215 triple and although all are welcome... Our help could be limited...
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 11:17:52 pm »
Doug I too think you are speaking about the old model.  Although you are always welcome on this forum dedicated to the new Trophy, I think you are more likely to find help at a Triumph forum which addresses all models.  That forum is
triumphrat dot net

And BTW welcome to the Forum
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:19:19 am »
Doug, I think your problem has to do with a bad fuel pump. If it is running good with a full tank and starts to run badly when it gets lower is usually a good sign that it's about to go out completely.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:08:33 am »
You might be right.  When I first read his post I read it quickly and thought he said the problem was there even though he had 3/4 of a tank.  And I figured that if the problem is there with 3/4 of a tank then it isn't likely the pump.   But in re-reading his post more carefully I realize he said after he had gone through 3/4 of a tank.  So could be the pump. But I'd run a volume test before I went into the pump.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:48:10 am »
Sounds like this recall issue?

Ref:  http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults

"Report Receipt Date: JAN 15, 2014  NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V009000
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
All Products Associated with this Recall

Details 5 Associated Documents

Manufacturer: Triumph Motorcycles America, LTD

SUMMARY:  Triumph Motorcycles America, LTD (Triumph) is recalling certain model year 2012-2014 Tiger Explorer ABS A1 and 2013-2014 Tiger Explorer Spoke ABS XC A1 and Trophy SE A1 motorcycles manufactured November 17, 2011, through December 16, 2013. In the affected motorcycles, the electronic control unit (ECU) hardware and software may improperly detect the motorcyle's throttle position resulting in the motorcycle shutting down.

CONSEQUENCE:   An unexpected shutdown increases the risk of a crash.

REMEDY: Triumph will notify owners, and dealers will update and install new ECU hardware and software, free of charge. The recall began on January 24, 2014. Customers may contact Triumph at 1-678-854-2010.

NOTES:   Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov."
______________________________________________________________________________________

Also a similar current complaint by another Triumph owner submitted:

"
Date Complaint Filed: 07/08/2014
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , ENGINE

Date of Incident: 06/22/2014
NHTSA ID Number: 10608821

All Products Associated with this Complaint

Details

0 Associated Documents

Crash:No
Fire:No
Number of Injuries:0
 Number of Deaths:0

Manufacturer: Triumph Motorcycles America, LTD

Vehicle Identification No. (VIN): T617928...

SUMMARY:
 THE DAY AFTER BUYING MY BIKE, IT COMPLETELY SHUT DOWN ON ME 4 TIMES IN SUCCESSION WHILE RIDING. FIRST ON A SURFACE STREET AT ABOUT 30MPH, THEN ON THE FREEWAY AT 65-70MPH, THEN TWICE ON THE SHOULDER OF THE FREEWAY AT LOW SPEED JUST TO GET IT HOME (ALL ON THE SAME DAY). THE DEALER INFORMED ME THIS BIKE HAD BEEN SUBJECT TO A RECALL INVOLVING THE REPLACEMENT OF THE ECU PRIOR TO MY BUYING IT, AND THAT THE REPLACEMENT HAD BEEN COMPLETED. AS OF 7/7/2014 THE DEALER STILL HAS MY BIKE, AND HAS NOT DETERMINED THE CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM AFTER DOING, IN THEIR WORDS, "EVERYTHING WE CAN THINK OF", TO FIGURE IT OUT. THEY HAVE TOLD ME I HAVE 2 CHOICES; 1) LEAVE THE BIKE AT THE SHOP UNTIL THEY DIAGNOSE AND FIX IT, WHICH OF THIS WRITING IS NOW 16DAYS; OR, 2) TAKE IT BACK AS IS. I HAVE CONTACTED TRIUMPH MOTORCYCLES LTD., UK IN HOPES OF OBTAINING A BETTER ALTERNATIVE; NAMELY A NEW BIKE TO REPLACE THE DEFECTIVE ONE I WAS SOLD."
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:06:28 am »
Assuming it is the older Trophy, my Honda ST1100 had a similar problem.  As venting is not the issue, when the fuel pump gets hot it may be decreasing in flow.  I don't have any early Trophy testing procedures, but there must be a flow test you can perform on the pump output. My ST1100 tested fine under such a test at home, but did not like high altitude/warm and less than half full tank.  Sometimes cleaning the fuel pump can help (does it have an intake filter? junk can build up inside the pump), otherwise it is fuel pump replacement time.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:12:47 am »
Original post mentions Carburettors, so it will be an older model - Trophy 4.

From memory, in addition to other comments, they were also prone to the fuel tap clogging up,
and causing erratic problems like the ones described, after running for a few miles.

There's a forum dedicated to the previous Trophy model here :
Triumph Trophy 3 & 4 forum   :028:

tweedy-bunch