Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Suspect OEM fuse?  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Suspect OEM fuse?
« on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:55 am »
While away the last few days the fuse (no 6, rear 15amp) was blown. No horn, tail light or brake light. This was at 27,000kms. I replaced it with one of the spares, but it went soon after. Put in one I bought and made it the next 1,000kms with everything working.  If it goes again I know there is another issue other than perhaps the fuse itself.

Any other similar experiences?

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
Re: Suspect OEM fuse?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 01:23:19 am »
Sounds like a short to me.  One that is not always shorting out (such as a wire that occasionally moves when in motion) and on the occasion it does so, blows the fuse.  If so, my sympathies because those periodic/inconsistent shorts can be the hardest to find. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 03:21:27 am »
I hate intermittent electrical problems, as it is hard to track down. makes it harder for the dealer if it is not consistent. Hopefully it will no reappear, but I will have a good look at the wiring while changing the tyres.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:35:39 am »
Hi saaz,

Just a point to note : In my Owners Handbook, it says that Fuse No.6 in the rear fuse box
( Horn, Stop & Tail Lights ) should be 10A not 15A ? !

Edited 25/7/14 to add : "Oops" - that IS for the Trophy NOT the Trophy SE which should be 15A - sorry  :164:

Pure guess work but as the horn draws more current than the LED Stop & Tail lights,
that would be my firt area to explore .....

Cheers,

« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:11:16 pm by Coconut »

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:54:51 am »
On the SE model the fuse is 15 amps (I checked the handbook and had the same concern about using a 15 amp fuse, but that is what was in there) - why I don't know as it seems the circuit is the same? I might just look at the wiring diagram for some inspiration.  I did not use the horn at all after replacing the fuse the first time.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:02 am »
Did the fuse look blown (little bit of wire melted) If not then probably a bad batch they are pretty cheap things and I have had some fall to bits before that I was just using as spares in the tool kit bag.

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 11:33:39 am »
They looked blown but time will tell if they might have been a bit weak.

*Originally Posted by john348 [+]
Did the fuse look blown (little bit of wire melted) If not then probably a bad batch they are pretty cheap things and I have had some fall to bits before that I was just using as spares in the tool kit bag.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 05:54:26 pm »
*Originally Posted by saaz [+]
While away the last few days the fuse (no 6, rear 15amp) was blown. No horn, tail light or brake light. This was at 27,000kms. I replaced it with one of the spares, but it went soon after. Put in one I bought and made it the next 1,000kms with everything working.  If it goes again I know there is another issue other than perhaps the fuse itself.  any other similar experiences?

same happened to me once, just after I took possession of the Trophy; it was a short, the culprit was a loose electrical connection of the top box
An old biker must be a good rider