Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: LED headlights  (Read 19062 times)

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
LED headlights
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:56:41 am »
Well I have bad news. The LED headlights I put in my bike may have looked good and had good pattern, but they didn't last. Both the low beams went out and I only had high beans till I went and picked up some bulbs today on my trip. One good thing, I found out I could change out the bulbs in less than 30 minutes. :233:
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: LED headlights
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:24 am »
Sounds a bit like my experience with +50 H4 bulbs. Both low beams went in a matter of a month or so.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 04:44:49 am »
Thirty minutes may sound like a pain and to an extent it is.  But sounds like a piece of cake compared to my Sprint ST which requires removal of the entire cockpit.  Even with experience it is a 3-4 hour job.  Almost makes me look forward to the relative ease of the Trophy.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 06:03:11 am »
The Trophy headlight bulbs are a touch harder than the ST1100 and ST1300 unless you remove the lower panel under the headlight so you can access from below.

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 09:12:26 am »
I wonder what was wrong with the design as leds should last a very long time.  Of course high power leds get hot and need cooling I wonder if they got that wrong or just over drove them to get the spec up.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 09:28:28 am »
I found out I could change out the bulbs in less than 30 minutes.

Here's some useful information on "HOW TO : Replace headlamp bulb ..... for anyone that hasn't tried it yet !

« Last Edit: March 03, 2021, 05:59:34 pm by Coconut »

Offline atvtinker

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Grand Cane, LA
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 09:52:47 am »
John348, it looks like they may not have the clear coating on top of the chip thick enough. They both have tiny star pattern cracks in them and if you touch them they will light back up, but I know that won't last long. I hate this because they did look very promising. Oh well back to the drawing board.
Saaz, yes removing the lower plate on the forks makes it a lot easier to get to the bulbs from the bottom.  Probably would have been easier if it the mosquitoes here in Nova Scotia weren't so insistent on making me their meal! And I thought Louisiana mosquitoes were bad. Geez!
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550
'14 Triumph Trophy SE

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 09:56:00 am »
No mosquitoes this time of year down here, they have all gone north to the warmer weather!