Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: inconsistent windscreen motor  (Read 6924 times)

Offline Padman63

• Trophy Member
  • Get er Done, Make er smoke
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: San Diego Way, CA
inconsistent windscreen motor
« on: July 26, 2014, 04:38:49 am »
I have had my '13 TT since March 5th of this year. For the most part I love it, but there are a couple of weird issues. One is the windscreen motor adjustment. Sometimes when I am stopped with the engine running I can not get the windscreen to adjust up or down, pushing the lever up or down will do nothing, but, once I begin to move, it is fine. I know this isn't right. Anyone else experiencing this? I guess I need to take it in and have it checked before my warranty is out, thanks in advance for any replies.
2013 Triumph Trophy
2007 Honda Goldwing
2006 BMW R1200RT
2006 Harley Davidson Streetglide
2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

Offline Stoney

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 & '17 TT SE
  • City / Town: Simi Valley, Ca
Re: inconsistent windscreen motor
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 05:03:03 am »
Yep, here's how it worked with me:  The windscreen never failed, ever, until the ECM replacement in March.  After that, it would act just like yours in the morning: tries to return to the memory (up) position, but moves about 1/2" then returns.  Functions normally as soon as I start to roll.  But when leaving from work in the evening, it works perfectly from the start.  That's strange enough, but then, in early June, after getting my tires replaced, it returned to working perfectly, every time.  I'm not gonna question why, just happy that it's back to normal.  But I do wonder what the heck changed it...  Wait - that's it!  You need new tires!!!

:084:
STONEY

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:08:21 am »
Padman.. The anti trap does seem particularly sensitive at times..

If the screen is slightly out of true then it might have enough pressure on it to think something is obstructing it and then not move. Getting moving puts air pressure on it enough to then offset any issue about being obstructed and then it works fine again..

Have you taken the screen off recently?

If not, try taking it off and operate the arms a few times fully then put the screen back on..
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 10:28:36 am »
I also spray some ptfe spray behind the dash towards where the windshield screw is to keep it all lubricated.  When I fitted the GPS I realised any extra friction would cause problems so lubricated it.  And try to keep it so.

Offline Chris Higgs

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:50 am »
All you need to do is switch off and leave it a few hours.
If you ever glide to a halt and switch off whilst rolling the screen will not move up or down from its minimum height when you re-start. However, it will be fine again in the morning. I wish I knew the 're-set' time.
Generally, only adjust it on the move, say 20mph and above and I think you'll find it behaves fine.
Wrong, yes, but to be honest I've had enough of the niggles and provided I can make it work to my requirements I'm not going to trouble the dealer with it.
Don't even start me off with talking about the traction control....

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 07:21:14 pm »
My windscreen froze last week after erratic behaviour.
First by staying at the lowest "power off" position after starting, but became adjustable with the selector again after riding a few miles.
After my approx. 75 mile trip the screen stuck in it's last selected midway position after shut down.
My dealer was located on my route back home so .... the official Triumph dealertool turned up with failure P1633...windscreen motor failure. After the Triumph calibration screen test was run the screen moved to the most up position. No way to get it down afterwards.
All other tests on switches and relays were OK.
The screen motor was changed without result so further investigation resulted that the fault is probably caused by the ECU failing to process the correct signals to the windscreen motor.
So now the wait is for a replacement ECU....at least one week.
But no worries... weather here is cold with salty roads. And the dealer  :028: gave me a Trophy loaner. Unfortunately in the slow colour/ color Caspian Blue  :745:
I will let you know of the outcome.
2014 Lunar silverTriumph Trophy
2016 Bonneville T120 Black

Offline gfxmonkey

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Bishop's Stortford
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 07:35:03 pm »
At least my blue one is still on road!!!   :745: :745:

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 08:09:03 pm »
Any resistance on the worm drive will cause problems.  Alignment or dirt.  I regularly lube mine with dry lube.

tweedy-bunch