Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Back from France  (Read 2673 times)

Offline gtgt2112

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: Manchester
Back from France
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:51:52 am »
Naturally people post when their bike lets them down, which makes the rest of us paranoid.

In this frame of mind I set off for 2500 miles round France, over the Pyrenees to Spain and the back via the gorges of the Tarn, Two up full luggage (and then more luggage).

Torrential rain in mid France so we used the French  motorway on a couple of occasions, but later as we like to get off the main roads we  crossed to Spain on some small steep and often single track roads.

We experienced vicious side winds on the payage heavy spray, 30 degrees temperatures and of course a whole lot of sunny and very hot weather on some of the best biking roads in Europe, the bike took it all, in fact it was doing better then that, it lapped it up. Unbelievably nimble (for it's weight) on the hairpins the smooth low rpm power delivery makes it better on the hairpins than any of the BMW's I have owned , steady as a rock cruising at 85 in heat and rain. Happy pottering along at 50mph. Overall fuel consumption 56mpg.

And no problems I repeat absolutely no problems, glitches or breakdowns. Triumph have produced a first class tourer, it could do with loosing some weight, but as Fiona so helpfully pointed out so could I. Hey ho diet starts tomorrow, or maybe next week

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
Re: Back from France
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 06:13:24 am »
great post. missus and I did very similar route last year and I commented that although the gs adventure coped well with the tight hairpins in the pyrenees I don't know how clever it would have been on the previous bike a Honda st1300. Recent two up fully loaded tour on gnarly roads in Ireland showed the Trophy is well up for it and copes better with mways and screen down bimbling in the heat. Yesterday I was flying over the Dales chasing a very good rider on a Blackbird. Trophy is the most versatile bike ever. Great to hear about reliability instead of niggles.
Tommorow is always a good day to start a diet  :038:

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 07:26:05 am »
Hi gtgt.... Glad you had a great trip with neither the wife or the Tropht letting you down, even if the weather did in places!

My last long run was similar, minus the rain! You are right it is a great tourer and it laps it up.

I have a week in Ireland coming up doing roughly the route David did so will report back some more!
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 10:16:43 am »
GT Gt

Great write up and agree good to get positive feedback on the Forum instead of some of the negative aspects. Although these are useful and collectively people discuss them and pass on and share there results.

The bike is a brilliant machine and takes everything in its stride and a great mile muncher.

I try to plan a few rides when on leave. Presently mostly UK as there are lots of roads unridden for me at present. My next 1 night stop over could be Wetherby up to Jedbrugh, Selkirk then down the A708 towards Moffat but take a turn off that captures 3 lochs then down the A701 to Moffat for the night. Then home next day.

see how that pans out. Not sure when but could be around the 11th to the 15th August my next leave.  open to any invites if anyone care to join me.

seadog
seadog

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 10:46:00 am »
Hi gtgt2112 -  :460:   :047:

It's good to read the positives  :169:  - Sounds like you had a fantastic time !

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 10:54:01 am »
Great post. I've done the Pyrenees a few times and it is great biking country. It's good to hear of problem free tours, you can get paranoid reading of the problems people have had.

Offline Sneezy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy se
  • City / Town: Carlisle
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:39:22 pm »
Good write up, good positive feedback, mine did 5000 miles in 5 days, trouble free, apart from an immobiliser issue at lands end (too near a sensor) and i got 46 mpg average (72mph average speed)
As the late, great Freddie Mercury sang.
"Get on your bike and ride"

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:47:41 pm »
Hi Dude
Glad to see that the bike did not let you down. I did a good 20K on 2 Trophies last year One that let me down but always got me home then the other that never missed a beat.
I'm now riding the Explorer same brilliant running gear but different scaffolding around it :745: If money where no object then the Trohpy would be back in my stable in a heartbeat but alas we can all dream. The handling is second to non for a touring bike and believe me there are times that I miss the weather protection  :138: But for the time being the Explorer is ticking a few more boxes for the type of riding I,m doing.
Enjoy the Trophy its a great steed  :062:

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

tweedy-bunch