Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Short Scottish tour to Applecross  (Read 2779 times)

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Short Scottish tour to Applecross
« on: July 27, 2014, 07:22:05 am »
Hi Everyone.

Been back from my short tour just over a week now and back on board ship.
As with many other postings it is good to have positive feed back about the bike. It performed absolutely brilliant with no problems at all.
Started the day riding up to Crief for the 1st night this was great sunny day through the tees valley up to Carter Bar finally ending in Crief only motorway was round Edinburgh had booked into a great biker friendly B&B  "Gavelbeg House" lots if eating establishments in Crief. My mate had ridden down from Aberdeen so a good point to meet up.
Next day pouring down and very low cloud. Set off for Applecross. Via Fort William, Tyndrum " Green Wellie Shop" then through Glen Coe what you could see of it, thos still dramatic scenery possibly more so with the low cloud. Through Glen of Shiel up to Lochcarron then the decision do we go over the "Pass of cattle" or round the coast road.
Decision made to go over the pass Cloud at 1000ft. Pass at 2000ft. this was an exhilarating ride with extreme caution  :008:
Once in the Cloud base just keep your eyes on the single track tarmac. If anyone has done this pass there are 3 main hairpins these were in the clouds. So little traffic. On the top it was windy but no problem from the Trophy. By this time windscreen and helmet visor visibility low.
Stopped at the viewing point on top usually you can see right across the highlands. We had about 10m viz.
Then a steady ride down the other side into Applecross. We had booked 2 nights, when we arrived there was some juggling with the rooms. Only have 7 rooms. So Judith the land lady (Yorkshire Lassie) said she also had use of a fishermans cottage at the end of the street and we could have that at the same rate but still eat in the hotel ect. This turned out great as we had plenty of space to dry our gear and spread out again. (Something to consider if going again, ask for the cottage).
Applecross Inn is known for its food and great bar atmosphere. We were not disappointed.

Next day sun started to show itself, was just set off along the coast road with no real destination in mind just excellent riding on some fine single track lanes and very little traffic. One of my favourites was through Glen Torrodin awesome . Every corner a new picture.

Headin back to Applecross in the Afternoon sun. This time we could see everything. I do not think the pass is too technical, you have the 3 hairpins but it is quiet a dramatic scenery and seeing the road wind its way up the mountain is just great. Definitely recommend it to anyone taking the west highland route.

Last day set off from Applecross over to Inverness. Could not get over how good and quiet the roads are, just great riding experience.  Bike running smooth as silk and munching the miles. Reached Inverness where my mate peeled off for Aberdeen and I had some business to attend to in my company office. Set off back home. I did have an intention to break the journey rode down to Aviemore then over the A9 to Perth.  (Watch for the speed cameras and unmarked police cars)  Extremely high winds which did buffet the bike but once I got used to it and adjusted speed it took it in its stride no problems.
Headed back to Edinburgh and on the A1.
Over the Forth Bridge through Edinburgh back on the A1.As a biking road the A1 is a pleasant old road and you forget sometimes what a good road it is. Down past Berwick on tweed then to Bambrough. Lovely evening riding and feeling fresh and relaxed. In the end rode all the way to Wetherby.

In summary one of the best 4 days I have had riding with good company, great food and an excellent, Brilliant machine to do it all on.
total 1037miles and an average return of 55mpg.

I will go thru the videos and photos and post some photos soon

seadog  :046:

seadog

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Short Scottish tour to Applecross
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 07:31:37 am »
Hi seadog, glad you enjoyed your trip, great write up! From your description of the weather I'm not sure I would have gone for the over the top pass of the cattle route! :005: glad that you and the Trophy performed so well in such challenging circumstances!

Looking forward to seeing your pics and videos!

Kevin
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:03:57 am »
Hi Seadog
Good write up of your mini tour, brought back many happy memories of riding that route. Haven't been up that way for a few years now, hope to go back that way next year. The last time I did Applecross  experienced similar weather to you, a challenge, but a must do all the same.
Good to hear the Trophy performed so well. I am off to Ireland next weekend to put mine through her paces.

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:36:23 am »
Hi Folks

Please bare with me I am going to send some photos but may need 3 postings  :008:  not sure how to edit video and they are huge files from the go pro. But theses are snap shots from the video on the pass.

Hope you enjoy

seadog
seadog

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 08:39:05 am »
These are the 2nd day in the clear sunshine :008:

seadog
seadog

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41:26 am »
Applecross

great place to visit.

seadog
seadog

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 09:50:21 am »
Sounds like a good ride.

I am off on a less interesting ride which has lots of open country. To Border Village and back to meet up with a few people and come home.  Unfortunately the more interesting way back is in the high country, covered in snow at the moment.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Kaleen+ACT+2617/Border+Village+SA/@-34.2290375,130.2350093,5z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b1652d414cc5f1b:0x500ea6ea7695470!2m2!1d149.1027819!2d-35.2194953!1m5!1m1!1s0x2ae9e1b47b58c3ef:0x4033654628f1830!2m2!1d129.0042782!2d-31.6374245

Offline johnbut

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: triumph trophy
  • City / Town: East Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 11:02:35 am »
Good to hear that you had a trouble free tour. Did Glen Coe a good few years ago - it rained a lot then. We stayed a night in Fort William and never saw Ben Nevis as the rain and cloud were so bad. When the sky clears Scotland is beautiful but be prepared for rain.

tweedy-bunch