Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Final Drive / Drive Shaft Oil Leak  (Read 15621 times)

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Strathroy
Final Drive / Drive Shaft Oil Leak
« on: July 27, 2014, 01:21:03 pm »
At 28000k my bike seems to have developed a slow leak in the final drive if I go on a long ride, thEre will be a drip of oil on the garage floor in the morning dripping from the boot tab at the bottom. Not looking forward to service department taking the drive apart too. I have checked the oil height and it's ok also the oil looks good.

Offline Verdun95

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200 SE
  • City / Town: by CDG Airport
Re: Final drive oil leak
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 02:08:43 pm »
well, I would take it back to the dealer anyway, that's not normal  :187:
An old biker must be a good rider

Offline maccecht

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Rochester
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 02:59:45 pm »
Having ridden BMW's for many years particularly Airheads they sometimes get a pin hole in the rubber bango at the very bottom Quite possible your has the same problem.
"Think" It is not illegal yet.

Offline Mustangpilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT
  • City / Town: DH
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 04:17:18 pm »
You might be interested in this
http://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,9008.0.html
Hope the cause of the problem will be corrected soon. :028:
2014 Lunar silverTriumph Trophy
2016 Bonneville T120 Black

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Prince George
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 09:13:29 pm »
My TT is in the shop now having complete final drive replacement done. In my case, it was the inboard/RHS seal leaking onto the brake disc and rear wheel. It appears that the seal is not serviced separately whereas the input (front) and left side are.
I have questions about final drive ventilation - mine (the old one) wasn't.

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline strathroy

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Strathroy
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 12:19:48 pm »
Theo did they just replace the entire drive or open it up and replace parts.

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 06:06:58 pm »
They have replaced the complete final drive unit.  According to the service rep I spoke to, that was Triumph's approved repair.  Our communication is a little awkward since the (nearest) dealer is 700 km away, but that's what they told me.  The particular seal that was leaking in my drive unit is the one nearest the wheel/mounting flange and, in my understanding, is not individually replaceable in the field - requires the complete assembly from Triumph.
In your case, if the leak is from the drive shaft input (you mentioned oil dripping "from the boot tab at the bottom"), they will likely be able to replace the seal.  I think I can understand your reluctance to have anyone "violating" the integrity of your machine.  Personally, if it were just a simple seal replacement, I would prefer to buy the part and replace it myself.  However, I understand not everyone can do that so you may have to hold your breath and let the warranty process take its course.  As a former automotive mechanic, I have (lack of) trust issues with the repair industry and only took my TT in for this repair because of the potentially major parts cost involved - and because it also needed its ECM recall completed, which I cannot do.
My TT is a 2013 model with only about 3500 km on the clock.

Hope this helps, Strathroy.  I would be interested to hear how your repair plays out.

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

Offline Theo

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 06:17:56 pm »
Further to this subject, I would be interested to hear from anyone whether the final drive/rear bevel box is supposed to be vented.  It seems to me that, if it is not vented, the likelihood of oil leakage would be increased considerably.  My original drive unit was not vented as evidenced by the force with which the oil blew out of the drain plug when I did its first oil change at 800 km.

When I took the bike in for repair, I asked about this, and again a few days later after the parts were ordered but I have had no reply on either occasion.  It is my hope that the new final drive unit will be vented and that the original, being unvented, was some sort of assembly error.

Any thoughts - anybody?

Theo
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2007 Honda Shadow Spirit

tweedy-bunch