Value of Trophy looking to buy by TStol
[Today at 12:42:28 am]

Left the Fold - at least for now... by Saddle Tramp
[Today at 12:28:36 am]

2017 SE value by TStol
[Yesterday at 11:28:13 pm]

movement/play at the rear wheel by digital
[Yesterday at 09:00:40 pm]

Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Additional training  (Read 2543 times)

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: West Wickham
Additional training
« on: July 27, 2014, 03:03:40 pm »
Well I made the jump after my son suggested we do the skills for life course offered by I.A.M. Had the information and joining instruction to the L.A.M group. Start my 1st O.R on the 16th August. Just purchase the current Highway Code. Which I haven't read in some 20 yrs. should have brought one sooner and studied it.

Looking forward to the rides out and seeing what bad habits I'v picked up over 30 yrs of ride a bike.

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing? But it should be fun and looking forward to meeting other bikers.

Wish me luck as I'm looking forward to doing this on the Trophy.
1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
Re: Additional training
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 03:33:56 pm »
GJ

You will love it. Take it all in and embrace the training. There are a number of AIM riders on the forum. I myself have done 3 day Advanced awareness  a few years ago. Also check out the Bikesafe days offered by your local police unit.

I am just about ready according to my Instructor to go for my Advanced test. The Tuition is good and you are out riding properly and enjoying yourself even more.

best of luck  :047: :047: :821:

seadog
seadog

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:47:13 pm »
 :152:

Hope you enjoy the training and gain benefit from it.  As motorcyclists we are very vulnerable on the roads and any training may give you the edge.  None of us are too old or too good not to get some benefit from constructive critique.

It amazes me that riders are prepared to pay tens of thousands on their bike, hundreds on their gear but baulk at a few quids worth of training that may well save your life.

So good on you and enjoy.

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 08:43:55 pm »
Good luck - skills for life is fantastic value in terms of £ for hours observed rides. The vast majority of people going through the course that I have come across have found it adds to their confidence, safety and riding enjoyment. Trophy is an excellent bike to undertake  the course with an excellent riding position and sufficient weight and performance to explore the techniques covered. I am confident you will enjoy the programme and feel free to raise any issues on here that may come up for wider discussion.
Well done in taking the plunge  :152:

Offline Keith-Trophyhusband

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Vanilla blue one
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 06:41:43 pm »
Well done CJ for signing up for advanced training, I'm sure you will love it. I have never yet met anyone who didn't enjoy doing an advanced course. I work as an instructor (mostly teaching DAS but also advanced riding under the DVSA enhanced rider scheme and  preparation for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents test as a ROSPA diploma holder) and the hardest part of the job is getting people to give it a try. Of course everyone is a bit nervous about someone watching how they ride but no instructor worth his salt would ever be anything other than supportive and constructive of anyone who's prepared to give it a go.
When organisations like the IAM, Bikesafe and ROSPA are offering assessments and training at what is basicly cost or even less in the case of Bikesafe in London then it's such a shame more people don't give it a go. You said your reading the hi way code, you might also like to get a copy of "motorcyle roadcraft, the police riders manual" all recognised advanced training in the UK is based on it
Do let us know how you get on and good luck.

Offline andyhillsdon

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy
  • City / Town: chipping campden
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 08:10:30 pm »
i did good fun and the benefits are all good  :156: but  :233: 
Andy

Offline GJ-Trophy

• Trophy Pro
  • Enjoy life but don't take dangerous risks.
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: West Wickham
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 09:22:17 pm »
All,

Thanks for the great feedback on my posting, I forget to mention that I'm reading the roadcraft book as well. It's surprising what information you get from both HC & the RC books. It appears that I've started to introduce points I've already read about. Hope I'm doing them right, but I'm sure  the OR's will point me in the right direction. I've notice that my riding is getting smoother and don't seem to be changing gears or braking as much.

Well things can only get better and with there support will improve my riding and be more safer on the roads.

Thanks
GJ-Trophy
1st bike Yamaha DT125, 2nd bike Yamaha XV535 Virago 3rd bike Honda CBR 1000 F, 4th bike Honda Hornet 600 (story to tell) 5th bike Suzuki B-King 1300, 6th bike Suzuki GSX1250 FA. Then comes the cream of them all the TTSE in Blue the best colour in my opinion ....... :-)

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 02:23:57 pm »
Hope you enjoy it.

I am an IAM observer and I enjoy it and still learning.

tweedy-bunch