Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Likes and dislikes  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Likes and dislikes
« on: March 21, 2013, 11:29:53 AM »
I wondered what you all thought of your Trophys? I bought mine purely for commuting and touring. Therefore, there are aspects of the bike I donít like and those I do. So here is my hit list of loves and hates:

Comfort. Once I got used to the different sitting position of the bike I loved it. That said my back muscles ache after an hour (inside of the shoulder blades going down the back. Hopefully this will get better as time goes on).

I love the heated seat and grips. There is no way I would be commuting to work 50 miles each way at -3 degrees if I didnít have this plus the covering of the fairing.

I hate the noise the bike makes. It sounds like a sewing machine. Must be the shaft drive I guess. That said, when I tank it the exhaust burbles and sounds so much better.

I love the auto indicators cancellation. It makes my life easier in traffic. Yes I hit the cancel switch automatically but it is good to know it is there if you forget.

I love the lightness of the bike. It belies the weight of it. Even two up you can flick it around bend like a small scooter.

I was going to put the cruise control in the hate box but I have changed my mind. I still find it awkward to switch on but I am getting used to it. I find it really useful on long runs when the traffic is light. It allows me to rest my wrist.

I donít like where some of the switches are located on the bars. I would have preferred the hazard warning light switch to be near one of my fingers as opposed to the cowling as I use them occasionally when the traffic is coming to a sudden halt.
I do however, like the fact that you can switch them on, turn the ignition off and they will still flash. Handy when stopped in a lay-by on a busy road. 

I love the 5 litre storage box under the seat (on the basic models only). I keep my puncture repair kit and tools in there.

The adjustable suspension dial (non-SE version) is far better than getting a spanner out. 

I like the fact that most of the outer bodywork is plastic. When I get home from work I just grab a can of furniture polish spray and a soft cloth and can have the bike sparkling in a couple of minutes.

The twin large headlights are fantastic. The traffic can see the bike and pay more attention to it than they did to my Honda. In fact I am thinking of naming it Moses as the traffic just parts when I filter!

So, all in all not too many bad points. What do you like and dislike about your Trophy?

'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Online Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
Re: Likes and dislikes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:44:38 PM »
Overall comfort
Bike feels much lighter then it is.
ease is using most of the functions
storage/the ease of opening and closing the sidebags.

Dislikes:
dont care about the cruise one way or another but maybe I'll get used to it
Whining engine noise coming up frmo down below (I usually wear earplugs so that will be dealt with that way
the silly locking "glovebox" that unlocks when you roll to a stop making me think something was clunking around in the front end until I realized what was going on.  A regular keyed lock would have been just fine here.
Thats about it.  So far I really like the design of this bike.

Offline CoJaW

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:31:22 PM »
Thank you Trophy Bike!

I was wondering what that 'clunk' was whenever I came to a halt
It's a good idea that the box is unlocked when riding so that you can get cards/money out at tolls for example. However unlocking whenever the ignition is on would have been OK !

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:22:24 PM »
I haven't noticed mine opening when I turn the ignition on. It does unlock though. perhaps I misunderstood.

George Harrison

Online Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:10:29 PM »
I was wondering if people would start commenting on this or if it was just me or my bike.  First 50 miles I kept coming to a stop and hearing a clunk.  Figured something was either hitting the plastic or it was a suspension issue.  Then, I actually read the manual and saw that the box unlocks when you come to a stop.  When I tested the opening and closing in the garage that was exactly the sound I had been hearing!  If I can disable it I probably will at some point. 

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
Interesting. I never hear a clunk. I do think they could have designed it better though. It takes a couple of presses for mine to open.

George Harrison

Offline Canucks_Fan

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kennewick
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 06:03:08 PM »
The only dislike I have is how cross winds affect the bike.  This is my first bike with a large windscreen, so maybe it's that I'm just not used to it yet.  On my Tiger, I have no problems riding with sustained 50 mph side winds (other than fatigue), but the Trophy seems to "catch" the wind. Other than that- brilliant bike.  Absolutely brilliant.

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2013, 06:12:24 PM »
CF

The winds are awful here at the moment and although it is very gusty, The bike gives me the impression that it ain't going nowhere! It must be the weight of it.

George Harrison