Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: MICHELIN ROAD PILOT 4 GT FITTED  (Read 5988 times)

Offline madmechanic

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: trophy se
  • City / Town: blackpool
MICHELIN ROAD PILOT 4 GT FITTED
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:14:23 pm »
 Just like earlier post got a shock when young apprentice at the garage pointed out I had canvass and wires sticking out of my rear tyre
when I checked them a couple of days earlier   :192: :192:, Anybody with Pirelli angel tyres beware  :182:
  Decided to go with road pilot 4 GT's as reviews seemed good and they list a GT for the front as well as rear  , couple of hundred miles on them this weekend and can say they respond very well bike feels more solid and smoother fully recommend  :152: ,
  Also had 10k serviced carried out by Bill Smith in Chester , fully recommend them for there service , help and pricing although it had to go back as they ran out of time due to seized rear caliper and rear shaft drive being replaced because of fractured mounting for caliper they carried out all work and warranty work (front disc and pads ) to high standards and went beyond what was required. :821: :028:

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
Re: MICHELIN ROAD PILOT 4 GT FITTED
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:34:57 am »
It was reports like this that led me to replace the STs early rather than late, which is my normal practice anyway.

Offline ISU Cyclone

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Algona, IA
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 03:32:36 pm »
My first set of Pirelli tires did the same thing after 8200 miles. I replaced them with PR4 GT's. The Michelin PR4's handled great and I have put on 12,400 miles on them. I'm having my second set of PR4's installed today. I could have ridden a few more miles but am leaving for a trip from Iowa to Oregon & back so I decided new tires were in order. Plus it was time for my 20K servicing.

I'm still getting used to considering 12K miles good for a set of tires as I would routinely get over 20K miles on my Dunlops on my 1st generation Yamaha Ventures. But the Trophy is worlds apart from the Ventures and I love this bike. It is great for long distance touring whether riding interstate highways or country 2 lane roads.
19?? Cushman scooter, 1971 Suzuki TC100, 1973 Kawasaki Mache II 350 Triple, 1974 Honda CL450, 1976 Suzuki GT750 Water Buffalo, 1980 Suzuki GS1000, 1983, 86, 87, 87, 91 Yamaha Venture, 2013 & 2014 Triumph Trophy SE (both blue)

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:08:34 pm »
Over 2000km since fitting a set of PR4 GT and I must say I'm impressed. The Angel ST were good, the PR4 GT are excellent if not outstanding, both solo and two up. Very dry here so can't attest to wet weather performance; bring on Spring and Summer I say!
Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Trophyman12

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 06:34:48 pm »
Hi Madmechanic.
   I was going to go for the Angel GTs but after reading several reports I think my best option now is the Pilot 4s. They are due for changing in a coupe of months. As for Bill Smiths Chester i totally agree with you. First class service from a first class team. Craig and Ben always seem to go the extra mile. Keep up the good work Bill Smiths.  :152: Anyone else in the area? Give these guys a try. You wont be dissapointed.
Previous Bikes YAMAHA FJR1300 SUZUKI TL1000R            APRILLIA RSV1000 MILLIE YAMAHA YZF R1 SUZUKI GSXR1000
SUZUKI SV650S and countless others.

Offline venomyellow

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 15 Rocket 14 K1600
  • City / Town: Stratford Upon Avon
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:38:48 pm »
I've covered nearly 2000 miles on my PR4s, and must say they're light years ahead of the Pirellis supplied with the bike - I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who thinks that there's a tyre better suited to the Trophy than the PR4

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:21:13 pm »
Well I fitted a pair of PR4s this last weekend prior to a trip to Ireland. Got 10,000 miles out of the original fit Angel ST, slightly less on the rear as it got replaced at 1,600 miles due to a puncture.

First impressions are very good. Grip seems excellent even while scrubbing them in. Seems to be slightly less road noise too so I can hear the triple rumble better. They turn in very well and provide a smooth ride.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline av8or-dave

• Trophy Pro
  • Got Mine 8 OCT '18 - officially in the club now!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '17 TTSE & '82 SECA
  • City / Town: Liverpool
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:55 pm »
Glad to hear all the rave reviews for Michelin tires on the TTSE!

For my Ford explorer ($ Door, 4x4) I bought Michelins in 2000 @ 60,000 miles and they lasted until the truck was toatlaed when rearended by a texter in 2008 @ 190,000 miles (Religiously rotated once a quarter and checked pressures).

So, I just put a set of all weathers on my 2011 Nissan Frontier truck last Fall before the snow started flying in Central NY state, and really felt a huge improvement in grip and handling.

So, come the day I can pick new tires for my motorcycle - also investing in Michelins!
Don't pick a fight with an old guy, because if he can't fight - he'll just kill you!