Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Rear Ended  (Read 2639 times)

Offline Jimbo50

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Anacortes,Wa
Rear Ended
« on: July 29, 2014, 03:30:13 am »
Rear ended last Saturday while stopped at a red light. :161:  I'm OK but the bike went down hard on the right side.  Several plastic panels scratched and some have small cracks, but overall I'm impressed with the way the SE held up.  Geico(the other guys insurance) says it will pay to fix it but concerned about diminished value because it is now a previous wrecked bike.  Any advise on this is welcome.
Jim B.
13 Trophy
96 Honda PC800
07 Suzuki Burgman 650
09 Vespa 250ie

Offline ride200mi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph SE
  • City / Town: Central CA
Re: Rear Ended
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 03:51:47 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O0Q_ojY3Ec

Installed this and everyone seems to back off pretty quickly.
About the insurance claim, I've never had an issue with a worse or being devalued other than normal depreciation. I don't believe there is a "Show me the motorcycle fax"…. Unless it becomes a "total loss".
Sorry to hear about your accident, glad you didn't get hurt. It could have been much worse.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 03:57:39 am by ride200mi »
Life is a limited time offer, live deliberately, ride often!!!

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:57:23 am »
Hi Jimbo50,

Sorry to hear about your spill, but glad that you're OK - which is the main thing  :169:

If it's "just" the various Fairing Panels that need repairing or replacing then I can't see it would
affect the value of the bike very much - and might even increase it depending on the age of the bike and condition
of the panels pre-collision, as any existing scratches and dings will be sorted too !

Anyway, the resale value is only of any consequence if you go to SELL it -
and you wouldn't be wanting to that now, would you ? !

Cheers  :821:

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 09:21:58 am »
Just anecdotal but to me it appears as if there are more rear end crashes in USA whereas here in the UK it appears to be cars pulling out in front of you SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You).  The considered solution is conspicuity.  You'll notice more and more motorcyclists wearing HiViz.

My view is wearing HiViz gives a rider a false sense of security and positioning and assuming that drivers have not seen you is a better strategy.

I like the storey about two groups of Archers.  The first group, let's call them motorcyclists, were well trained and had stringent tests before they could use a bow and arrow and consistently hit the target with great accuracy.  The second group, let's call them car drivers, were poorly trained, easy to obtain licensing and were useless missing the targets by miles and hitting group one, the motorcyclists with their arrows.  The solution the European dictators came up with?

Stick all of group one, the motorcyclists, in HiViz.

Later

Dave :164:
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline ride200mi

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph SE
  • City / Town: Central CA
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 03:17:02 pm »
You are so right GarminDave. I also find that whom ever let drivers get away with distractions are the ones we need to target. i.e. Here in CA our beloved CHP found that all they thought was worth doing anything about is speeding and for the most part still do. But have been doing more on drivers that run stop signs, texting, not signaling lane intensions, tailgating etc. Not that I've seen much of this new CHP behavior but maybe it has come to attention of higher ups that this is cause for concern. The high-vis thing does work fairly well here IMHO due in part that our road works people wear high-vis and most now are looking for them. There was a time CHP would ticket speeding through road works and the finds were pretty hefty.
That being said, everyone must never forget to be on the defensive while riding.
Life is a limited time offer, live deliberately, ride often!!!

Offline john348

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: sprint1050 tiger955
  • City / Town: Farndon
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 05:20:35 pm »
Over here in the Uk the police have announced that they were going to ticket tailgaters and lane hoggers but I have seen no evidence to that at all.  The problem with speed cameras is that it only targets one type of driving offence and is easy.  whereas other offences that can be more dangerous (are in my opinion) are too diffcult to police (like they need to be out and about on the road). 

Still good to see you live to fight another day and again in this country it is only logged on the insurance database if it is a right off and then there are caregories.  I have seen a car manufacturers database that said things like fixed crash damage as part of srvice history, but I would think this is private.

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:58:11 am »
I'm with the others on the HiViz type lights.  As for the insurance claim I did some research on CarFax and motorcycles.  As far as I can find CarFax doesn't report on motorcycles.  Despite that blanket statement simply because I did have one guy swear that the records are available.  Still I tend to believe not.
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST