Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Fuel information  (Read 4911 times)

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
Fuel information
« on: August 04, 2014, 08:52:55 pm »
On Saturday I ran out of fuel.  Obviously I felt a fool but in my defence there were two bars on the fuel gauge and it said I had 60 miles left.  I'd done 278 miles and thought 60 more to 338 would have been a lot.

Got my siphon tube out and made it to nearest fuel station where it took 25.78 litres.

Any thoughts lads and lasses?

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Fuel information
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:31:20 pm »
Had you absolutely filled it to the brim when you last filled it and what type of riding wee you indulging in for the 278 miles....

Full to the brim and easy riding I have had 350 miles and computer still said 50 to go.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline w8d4it

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Triumph Trophy
  • City / Town: Houston Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 12:01:33 am »
I seldom trust fuel gauges.  It is rare that I let a bike (or a car) get less than 1/4 full.  Oh I suppose if I were really close to my destination and didn't want to stop I'd push it but otherwise why do so.  I mean how long does it take to fill up a motorcycle. 
Proudly Riding Triumph Since 1968
2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2001 Sprint 955 ST

Offline Trophy 59

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TT SE, XV750 Bobber
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 02:07:43 am »
I was down to one bar on the guage yesterday, distance to empty read 47km when I called at the service station. Filled up with 21.3 litres, so still had about 4.5 litres (imperial gallon) left in the tank - that's about 100km of normal riding. So, mine is well on the conservative side.

Doesn't stay the same if I wind it up though!
Don't grow up, it's a trap...

Offline seadog

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Harrogate
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:34:41 am »
On my recent trip to Scotland I had a situation where I was on a loop Motorway near Edinburgh and the Light had come on. Saying 60miles.
I could have gone off th motoerway and to a village to refuel but pushed the envelope a bit. I saw a service station 16mile  getting worried as the reading said 20miles.

Finally arrived at the service station gauge reading 7miles.

To me the gauge was reading well. I filled up with bike on side stand.

I usually get fuel as soon as the light comes on around 70 /60 miles
I wont let it get that low next time tho. But a good test.  I always top up the tanks the night before if I know I am setting off again the next day. One less hassle on your next days trip.

seadog
seadog

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:40:42 am »
Very informative replies.  Thanks.

I usually do not trust fuel gauges but reset my odometer after every fill and would work on that. As I'm new to this bike I have not done my usual test of putting a spare gallon on board, ride to the low warning light and ride 'till out of fuel just to see.

When I bought the bike the dealer told me he'd filled her up but leaving the dealership the gauge was low, so I assumed the usual negative thoughts about sales people and truth and stopped at the first garage. He had indeed filled it up but it takes the Trophy a little while from ignition on to get itself all sorted out and give correct information.

I had been on and off the bike all day, I was a Motto Marshal at the London Triathlon, I knew it was low but because the gauge said 60 miles left, which I assumed would also include a 'wiggle' factor I'd be alright.  In fact I think I'd not given the bikes enough time to sort out all it's sensors.

Any way entirely my fault.  I gained a few points back by having a siphon handy!  Also the full tank cost me two pints of Stella in the bar after the event, and a bit of banter!

Later

Dave
Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 02:58:23 pm »
*Originally Posted by GarminDave [+]
On Saturday I ran out of fuel.  Obviously I felt a fool but in my defence there were two bars on the fuel gauge and it said I had 60 miles left.  ...

The strange part is that the gauge read two bars.  That low on fuel it should have read zero bars.

Had you disconnected the battery and/or had a dead battery?  I say this because I ran out of fuel on my Tbird after having the bike serviced.  The gauge read a few bars, but the dealer had removed the tank as a part of the service and that caused the gauge to be wrong.  I filled up the bike and it read accurately after that.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 04:39:07 pm »
I find that I go to zero bars and still have quit a bit left. I've only been in that situation a time or two. Usually I fill up before 250 miles (400 km).
Thanks for the heads up.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.