Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 1st Trip Down  (Read 4506 times)

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
1st Trip Down
« on: March 22, 2013, 09:42:49 AM »
Hi All
Just returned from 5 days touring West Coast of Ireland "SORRY BUT NO FAULTS TO REPORT"  :745:  :745:
We have had all the four seasons in as many days every thing was handled in its stride  :028:

If any fault at all with the bike? as C_F has previously reported is the handling in strong winds  :233: It feels like bike is been toppled over and not pushed side-words. This effected the very quick steering that we love in other aspects of our riding. The bike was fully freighted even to the point of a tour pack strapped to the top of the top box. Other than the strong winds blowing the bike about a bit " A LOT " all other aspects were stunning the braking and surefooted handling over the very bumpy roads of Western Ireland made me fall more in love with the bike. No its not perfect but then again what is in the biking world that we all love so much.
This bike gets a very large positive from me. After 40+ years of riding I feel rejuvenated trusting the bike and my abilities more than I have done in a lot of years. I've said it before and repeating it again there ain't no other bike for me out there.
If other people get half the buzz that I get out of this bike were all in for a great time. :821:  :821:

So lets have some more positive postings :046:  :046: We all like to pass on the faults and woes  :138: So lets start passing on the joys and how it make us feel.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
Re: 1st Trip Down
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »
Your last lines say it all!  After reading about all the woes I have been waiting for the axe to fall instead of having fun.  It looks like it will be above freezing here tomorrow.  Looking forward to logging as many miles as I can and get through the first 500 miles!

Offline Tigercat

• Trophy Junior
    • View Profile
  • Bike: '13 Trophy, '70 BSA
  • City / Town: Ames Lake, WA
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
I'm with you Chaos,
Just clocked 1200 miles coming into work this AM.  Aside from a new battery and fork replacement the bike is absolutely the best I've ever owned.  One thing that deserves some praise are the excellent headlights.  My 35 mile commute starts at 0445 and compared to the terrible headlights my 08 Tiger had, the trophy is like the difference between night and day (pun intended).

Will be keeping this one till the wheels go square.

Cheers,
 :018:

Offline Wscad

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
Chaos

Touring Southern Ireland at this time of year ?  :005: :005: I'm impressed with you Barnsley lads.

Did you have to put goose fat on your chest to keep warm ?

Cheers

Wscad

Offline Caoimhín

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:33:47 PM »
Hey, some of us natives actually ride here all year round! That's why the superior weather protection of the Trophy is great.
Caoimhín

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wscad [+]
Chaos

Touring Southern Ireland at this time of year ?  :005: :005: I'm impressed with you Barnsley lads.

Did you have to put goose fat on your chest to keep warm ?

Cheers

Wscad

Aye lad and a empty head LOL!! :745: :745:
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline afterburner

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 triumph trophy
  • City / Town: long beach, ca
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 02:04:51 AM »
did my first trip on the tt, 720 miles round trip up the central California coast to monterey from southern cal, up the pacific coast hwy. beautiful sunny weather, though on the way up, it was windy/gusty. this bike doesn't like these conditions. it gets thrown around. makes you tingle all over.  I wished it was quieter and calmer behind the windscreen. you need earplugs. there's a solid 100 miles of curves on the coastal cliffs. unless you log a lot of hours riding curves on this bike, it's hard to be smooth. when you lean it, it just drops, almost like a sport bike. otherwise, very comfortable, excellent power, nice plush ride, I set it on "comfort", "normal" is kind of stiff. I really like the powerlet outlet just below your left knee for the heated liner. brakes are excellent, never expected a bike this heavy can stop so good. this is my first touring bike. I have test rode a bmw rt1200 about 6 months ago for about an hour on hwys and roads and I think this is a better ride, though the rt wasn't bad. I cross shopped the trophy with the rt1200 and I know I made the right choice. I wanna do this same ride again In a few weeks. this bike was designed for this route. plan on going to the icefields pkwy in alberta, Canada in july. it will be about 4K miles round trip. can't wait. one more thing, this bike has excellent range, 52 mpg avg. on this trip. I went 275 miles and it used only 5.6 gallons
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 02:19:12 AM by afterburner »

Ndo

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 04:28:19 AM »
Chaos,
Sounds like you are having a great time!!

I think the effect of wind on your bike could very likely be attributed to the topcase. Those things have a ill-effect on the handling of sports touring bikes because of their positioning. There is no way that a weighted item can be placed at such position on a bike without effecting the handling negatively. Besides the weight, that box capture the draft of the bike creating a sail-like effect causing instability in windy conditions.

I am waiting to hit some winds around a couple of mountains I cross frequently to see if I also experience those negative wind reports.