Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Zumo instalation frustration.  (Read 7172 times)

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
Zumo instalation frustration.
« on: August 09, 2014, 03:20:05 pm »
Spent the best part of a day trying to get this installed, admittedly some of it my own doing  :138:

After initial hook up, test, power up on ignition on, OK let's close it all up.  Wrong  :015:

Test audio out, nothing, only out of the Zumo speaker. Check all the settings, reboot, try again and again, all possible permutations, nada, sod all. Time to get systematic.

Fortunately I have a second unit. Try that, same, so unlikely that is the actual unit. Try plugging a headset into the unit's main hard audio out, both OK, same when I the cradle.

Panels off around the indicator again. Try the headset in the cradle hard audio out with both units, a crackly silence. Try connecting my phone to the TT audio input, tunes  :018: so nothing wrong with the TT. Has to be the cradle / leads  :084:

Desperate measures, start digging around in my box of bits from Singapore, still not fully unpacked, viola, spare cradle and lead. Boom it up to the battery and TT audio, tunes from the speakers  :152:

Not something I was expecting since the unit and cradle came off aTT and was in working order. So it's either a damaged cable or the spring loaded connectors on the cradle.

Do any of you bright young men have a pin out list for this cradle before I start doing serious research or hacking into the loom, Gamin Dave?

Not a complete waste of time as I did figure out on tip worth passing on.
The two screws for the central panel behind the mirrors, inboard upper, are difficult to get a hex key into completely straight without putting pressure on the Plastics. Swing the mirrors inward, now twist the glass part 90 degs so that the angled edge is top inboard the swing the mirrors back to almost normal position and you will be able to get at those screws straight on.

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
Re: Zumo instalation frustration.
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:13:31 pm »
I just did this same install and was puzzled why I had to have a music source on to hear the GPS instructions. Then, amazingly, I read the audio manual and turned on the "NAV Audio" option. Oops!
Serial BMW rider

Offline GarminDave

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 04:05:14 pm »
Sorry Sin_Tiger but I only like Garmin not an expert at all, I'm guessing your forum name should suggest you own a naughty tiger? :431:

There are so many variables with technology :087:, I'm old enough to remember when we only used maps, but a working GPS is a thing of beauty and I wish you good fortune in sorting yours.  Character building stuff, I find having a rest and cup of tea help solve the most difficult of problems.

Later

Dave

Love, light, and kindness,

Dave

2016 TTSE

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 04:16:49 pm »
The Sin is actually originally for Singapore but now back mostly UK.

Thanks for clarifying, time to sit down with a pencil and paper and a multimeter.

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 09:45:16 am »
It's taken a few days but I have had a reply from Garmin
with details of the pin-outs for the Zumo 660 cradle - Cheers Garmin  :821:

Note : With thanks to Member "azgman" who reports the below diagram
has Pins 1 & 2 reversed - so XM Users please be aware of this potential issue !

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:32:20 am by Coconut »

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:48:14 am »
Well done Sir. I've been sorting the Zumo forums, nothing as conclusive as that but lots of other issues. I had considered emailing Garmin but previous communications have not been great with them.

Spookily I just sat down with my test leads and Fluke an hour ago :084:

Offline azgman

• Trophy Master
  • Addicted to curves
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy
  • City / Town: Casa Grande
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 10:57:27 pm »
The labels for pins 1 and 2 are reversed in your pin out diagram
Serial BMW rider

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 07:47:53 am »
Hi azgman,

Thanks for that - It's not "my" diagram as such,
it was sent to me directly from Garmin, but I will edit the original post with a note about this  :028:

( Strange that Garmin should get it wrong -
Can you confirm that you are referring to the pin outs of the cradle mount,
which is what the diagram is for, and don't have them "reversed" when looking at
the pin outs on the back of the Zumo Unit ? )

It won't be a problem for us in the UK though - we don't have XM Radio over here !

Cheers  :821:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:32:03 am by Coconut »