Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Surge when cruise is activated  (Read 4079 times)

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
Surge when cruise is activated
« on: August 10, 2014, 02:24:08 pm »
I had read a few items about this issue and didn't quite understand the problem until it happened to me while on cruise control at about 90 kmh.

I had one hand on the left side while relaxing my ride hand.  I start to go up an incline, not too steep. I noticed the bike started to slow every so slightly and it dropped about 5kmh, All of a sudden the bike surged forward to get back to the cruise speed. I almost fell backwards off the bike.

This happened twice in the same ride. Always on an incline where the bike slowed about 5kmh then surged.

I can understand the reduction in speed of about 5kmh when transitioning to go up hill, but the way the bike recovered by surging forward is not acceptable and is quite dangerous if you are in a relaxed posture.

The programming needs to be changed so that acceleration is gradual, not the surge I experienced.

This also happened the day after I had the bike in (aug 8) and they reprogrammed the ecu.

Colin

Offline atuti

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: TROPHY SE
  • City / Town: Washington DC
Re: Surge when cruise is activated
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »
Dear friend.

I use a lot the cruisse control device. With one and with two up, At 70 km/h, 90 km/h, and 120 km/h to ensure that I accomplish the Spanish rules. I have never experienced any problem similar to the one you are describing.

I would take the bike to the dealer just to review the configuration of the ECU.

Bye

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 05:03:51 pm »
Hi Colin...I have used the cruise control a lot in many different ride conditions and gradients etc.... I have been amazed at how smooth it is and never experienced a surge such as you describe...

As atuti says... I would suggest you need it investigated to see if there is an issue..
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline sin_tiger

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE Lunar
  • City / Town: Maybole
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2014, 10:26:45 pm »
I've used the cruise everytime I've been out, under as many different situations as I can, mainly just to get used to it. Never experienced that under similar conditions, even going back to the previously set speed with "Resume" it's never been anything but smooth and gradual even with more than 30 kph differential. Mine is a late 2013 with only 2000 miles on the clock.

Offline ColinM

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE 2014
  • City / Town: Toronto
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2014, 10:31:21 pm »
Okay, thanks for the input. I obviously need to take it back to the dealer as it didn't do this before the upgrade to the ecu.

I'm not the first to experience this issue as I've read about it a few times on the Internet.

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:32:43 am »
I've not seen the surge, other than when you resume cruise control. Please let us know how the situation is resolved.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline Agrsiv

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2014 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Peoria
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 07:11:12 pm »
Colin I have the same issue on mine. You're not alone

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 08:27:54 pm »
What gear are you in? In 6th gear the acceleration is smooth and gradual but if you are in 4th gear it accelerates much quicker when regaining speed. Always use the highest gear possible when in cruise mode