Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Need advice from owners who own both Trophy and Explorer  (Read 4053 times)

Offline Scubadvr

• Trophy Pro
  • The journey IS the destination!
    • View Profile
  • Bike: GSF1250SA Bandit
  • City / Town: St. Louis
Need advice from owners who own both Trophy and Explorer
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:59:26 pm »
I believe I read in some posts that some of you own both a Trophy and an Explorer, so I'm hoping you can help me out with your opinions.  I'm getting ready to buy a new bike, and originally the Trophy was at the top of my list, but lately I've been eyeing the Explorer XC.

I ride primarily for daily, year-round commuting (round-trip of 30 miles), take 1-2 weekend day trips per month (200-300 miles), and 2-3 long tours per year (4-7 days, 400-750 miles per day).

For some background, I'm currently on a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 set up for sport-touring with hard side cases, bar risers, and a Laminar Lip windshield extension for long trips.  The Bandit is a great bike, but for the long haul rides lacks in certain areas.  I also used to ride off paved roads, and wouldn't mind getting back into some of that, now that two of my riding buddies have bought GSs and plan to ride them off-road.

I know most of you are thinking, "Just go ride both and choose the one you like best!"  Which I would, if I could.  Neither of the two dealers in my area are offering test rides at the moment, so I'm at your mercy.

Below is the list of things (in order of importance to me) that I'm looking for in my next bike.

1.  Wind protection - Almost a naked bike, the half-fairing on the Bandit basically keeps the wind off of my chest.  With the Laminar Lip installed, the wind hits me cleanly at half-helmet, but my shoulders, (as far in as my outer pecs), arms, hands and legs are exposed to the wind.  For long rides, this gets pretty tiring, and in extended periods of rain, I end up damp or wet, despite having top-notch rain gear.

2. True Cruise Control - The throttle lock is OK, but not good enough.

3.  Shaft Drive - Fewer concerns and maintenance on long trips than the chain drive on the Bandit

4.  Heated grips/seat - The alternator on the Bandit doesn't provide enough juice for my heated jacket liner, and gloves, much less additional grips and seat that I want.

5.  Electronic suspension - I like the idea of changing quickly from a comfort ride for the superslab, and firmer for the twisties.

6.  Fuel range - The Bandit has only a 5.3 gallon tank, 35-40MPG, I always need to start looking for gas at the 140-150 mile range.  I think the Explorer would be similar.

So, for those who own both, if you could only own one of them, which would you choose?  Would you give up the occasional foray on forest service roads for the comfort and longer range of the Trophy, or is the wind protection on the Explorer good enough to do it all?

Thanks for reading through this novel, and I really appreciate any insight you can provide.

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
Re: Need advice from owners who own both Trophy and Explorer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:10:00 pm »
I don't own both but I did have an Explorer on loan for a week while I had the head recall done.

If wind protection is your number 1 feature then it is a no-brainier.

In my opinion the wind protection on the Trophy is second to none and certainly miles ahead of the Explorer which left me feeling quite exposed. Couple that with the adjustable screen so you can give yourself more airflow when it is warm then it is an easy decision.

All the other features you mention are equal on the Trophy and the Explorer apart from the fuel range. Again from my weeks loan I would say the Trophy has a good 75 to 100 mile better range than the Explorer. I regularly go 300-350 miles between refills.
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline Bludy L

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Wayne Co, Ohio
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 02:37:38 am »
I don't have both.

1. Wind protection - the Trophy is fantastic. Only criticism in on a really hot summer day it's too good.

2. Cruise - I use it all the time. It's great.

3. Shaft drive - I never even think about it.

4. I use the heated grips when my wife is riding pillion with everything plugged in. No issues.

5. Electronic suspension is great.

6. I look for gas between 250 and 300 miles. Usually fuel is an after thought during a pee stop.

I have a Bonneville that I ride around town and much prefer it for that purpose. However if I'm going a distance (like to Nova Scotia in two days) the Trophy is the choice.
My mother asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said "a biker". She said I'd have to choose one or the other.

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:57:14 am »
I recently had an explorer out for a day while my Trophy was being serviced. Not as comfortable, lost all the riding in quiet cucoon sense you get on a Trophy. For the riding you plan , especially the long distance tours, I reckon you would be sitting there wishing you had a trophy if you went for the explorer. The revelation about the trophy is that it is such fun on fast twisties that you generally don't wish to be on a more agile bike. For the occasional off road foray you are much better off on a much less expensive and lighter bike. Dropping, breaking and picking up an explorer would not be much fun at all. Trophy plus $1500 trail bike, if actually needed at all, would be my choice in your place.

Offline Scubadvr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:07:59 pm »
Thanks for the insight!  Coming from a Bandit, with virtually no wind protection, The Explorer looks like it has more, but still obviously would not be as good as the Trophy in that regard.

Offline Chaos

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Hoyland
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 06:10:15 pm »
*Originally Posted by Scubadvr [+]
I believe I read in some posts that some of you own both a Trophy and an Explorer, so I'm hoping you can help me out with your opinions.  I'm getting ready to buy a new bike, and originally the Trophy was at the top of my list, but lately I've been eyeing the Explorer XC.

I ride primarily for daily, year-round commuting (round-trip of 30 miles), take 1-2 weekend day trips per month (200-300 miles), and 2-3 long tours per year (4-7 days, 400-750 miles per day).

For some background, I'm currently on a 2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250 set up for sport-touring with hard side cases, bar risers, and a Laminar Lip windshield extension for long trips.  The Bandit is a great bike, but for the long haul rides lacks in certain areas.  I also used to ride off paved roads, and wouldn't mind getting back into some of that, now that two of my riding buddies have bought GSs and plan to ride them off-road.

I know most of you are thinking, "Just go ride both and choose the one you like best!"  Which I would, if I could.  Neither of the two dealers in my area are offering test rides at the moment, so I'm at your mercy.

Below is the list of things (in order of importance to me) that I'm looking for in my next bike.

1.  Wind protection - Almost a naked bike, the half-fairing on the Bandit basically keeps the wind off of my chest.  With the Laminar Lip installed, the wind hits me cleanly at half-helmet, but my shoulders, (as far in as my outer pecs), arms, hands and legs are exposed to the wind.  For long rides, this gets pretty tiring, and in extended periods of rain, I end up damp or wet, despite having top-notch rain gear.

2. True Cruise Control - The throttle lock is OK, but not good enough.

3.  Shaft Drive - Fewer concerns and maintenance on long trips than the chain drive on the Bandit

4.  Heated grips/seat - The alternator on the Bandit doesn't provide enough juice for my heated jacket liner, and gloves, much less additional grips and seat that I want.

5.  Electronic suspension - I like the idea of changing quickly from a comfort ride for the superslab, and firmer for the twisties.

6.  Fuel range - The Bandit has only a 5.3 gallon tank, 35-40MPG, I always need to start looking for gas at the 140-150 mile range.  I think the Explorer would be similar.

So, for those who own both, if you could only own one of them, which would you choose?  Would you give up the occasional foray on forest service roads for the comfort and longer range of the Trophy, or is the wind protection on the Explorer good enough to do it all?

Thanks for reading through this novel, and I really appreciate any insight you can provide.

I dont have both but have had both and currently on the Explorer. 20K on the Trophy and around 8K to date on the Explorer.
IMHO If its a all out touring bike you want then look no further than the Trophy nothing out there dose it better. Comfort,weather protection,fuel range all second to none. But the Explorer is far better as a all rounder  :028: It is just as comfortable, weather protection nowhere near but with the touring screen and the wide tank more than adequate. Fuel range a little disappointing compared to the Trophy  :151: but this more due to the capacity to carry rather than MPG but ridden at the same pace will give a range of around 230 miles I plan stops at between 180 - 200 miles.
The choice my friend is yours both are great bikes and you'll not be disappointed with either. Coming from the Bandit your going to see a vast difference :028: But for my style of riding the Explorer gives more bang for the buck :046: But never say never a Trophy may well be in my stable again someday.

Chaos
Ride long & prosper.
Live to ride. Ride int rain.

Offline Bluebird

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy
  • City / Town: St Clears
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 07:07:47 pm »
If you want an Adventure style bike with good wind protection, good tank range, and can tour and do some rough stuff. Go for a BMW 1200 GSA. :745:

Offline Scubadvr

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:15:19 pm »
*Originally Posted by Bluebird [+]
If you want an Adventure style bike with good wind protection, good tank range, and can tour and do some rough stuff. Go for a BMW 1200 GSA. :745:
You forgot to add "with looks only its mother could love."  I gave them a look, but quite honestly, I hate the looks of them, not to mention the true cost of ownership. I'm a function over form kind of guy, but even so, the GS exceeds my capacity and tolerance for pure butt-ugliness.   :125: