Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: Flashing Headlights  (Read 6512 times)

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: K1600GTL (Pegasus)
  • City / Town: Nottingham
Flashing Headlights
« on: March 22, 2013, 12:59:18 PM »
As you all know, I commute most days and this involves a lot of filtering. What I do when the traffic is busy is flash my headlights as I move up the middle. This works very well for the texters and those who are disracted.

This brings me to my question. Is anyone aware as to a piece of kit that will allow, at the switch of a button, the headlights to flas on and off? This would be really useful when filtering.
'The farther one travels, the less one knows.......'

George Harrison

Offline davidw3d

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Bradford
Re: Flashing Headlights
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »
I wonder if you could adapt an indicator flasher unit?
Might as well as wish we had.

Offline Canucks_Fan

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Tiger 1050 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Kennewick
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 01:47:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by Berber [+]
As you all know, I commute most days and this involves a lot of filtering. What I do when the traffic is busy is flash my headlights as I move up the middle. This works very well for the texters and those who are disracted.

This brings me to my question. Is anyone aware as to a piece of kit that will allow, at the switch of a button, the headlights to flas on and off? This would be really useful when filtering.
Yeah, they're pretty common over here in my neck of the woods.  I have this brand installed in my Tiger. http://www.customdynamics.com/signal_dynamics_diamond_star_headlight_modulator.htm

Online Trophy Bike

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 04:20:12 PM »
A company named Kisan also used to make a healight modulator like that.  In addition, there was a product I used to like that flashed your brake light when you tapped your rear pedal at varying speeds.  Really woke people up.  That might have been called "Back Off" or something like that.  I can try and find it. 

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 05:35:22 PM »
Thanks TB. I have been doing some research and there is a UK company that make a modulator. I don't want it on continiously though, I need to switch it on when filtering. The UK item is activated when you hit the pass switch for 2 seconds.

CF thanks for your input too. I really like the rear light version that acts like a foglight. The UK company is named SMIDSY. Very appropriate.

George Harrison

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
 Just a word of warning- I think you will find that automatic flashing of red or white lights is contrary to the road vehicle lighting regulations and is therefore actually illegal in the UK unless on an emergency services vehicle. Cycles have a specific exemption.

I agree that it definitely helps to be seen and may well fit something like this to mine (I can make my own as electronics is one of my hobbies), but just letting you know of possible consequences.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

Offline Berber

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »
Thanks BP. According to what I have read, there is no law that says you cannot have such devices fitted in the UK. That said, there is nothing that says you can. It appears to be a grey area. I currently tap my pass switch when filtering and this really helps. Hopefully should I get one fitted, I would not get pulled for it if I only use this for filtering. It would certainly be useful for me. 

George Harrison

Offline BluePilot

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • City / Town: Woking
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 12:05:05 PM »
Hi Robin,

Sorry to disappoint but there IS a law:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/13/made

refers. As I said, this is the road vehicle lighting regulations.

BP
"Let's be careful out there"

tweedy-bunch