Author [ES] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [SE] [FI] [NO] Topic: 2014 best touring motorcycles  (Read 8573 times)

Offline Saaz

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
2014 best touring motorcycles
« on: August 13, 2014, 12:37:32 am »

Offline Travelling2bob

• Trophy Master
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Sale
Re: 2014 best touring motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:53:32 am »
Thanks Saaz,

Interesting purchase price and operating cost are a low (no) criteria consideration? Obviously for the review cost is not a major criteria to the journo's.......DOH!!!!!!

Again subjectivity in journalism.......

Regardless, I'm happy  :001:

Wherever you go, there you are.
Triumph Trophy SE
Triumph Thunderbird 1600
Triumph Sprint ST
Ducati ST3

Offline Coconut

• Trophy God
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2017 Trophy SE
  • City / Town: South Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 09:03:14 am »
I think the opening sentence of the "Honourable Mention" for the Trophy says it all.

It's almost like the Journo had been told by the Editor that he must include it,
and then did so begrudgingly, so as not to detract from his own biased opinion of the BMW  :157:

Offline Wessa

• Trophy Member
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Thunderbird LT
  • City / Town: Winsford
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 10:12:52 am »
I guess at the end of the day Triumph are always going to have to put up with this level of bias...  It is all a matter of personal taste.

For me the Triumph brand is wholly British with loads of history and a great ride.  Really don't care what others actually think, it's all about what I think that matters to me.

Wessa
Favourite place, on my bike!

Offline enGage

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: 2013 Trophy
  • City / Town: Grand Rapids
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 11:25:53 am »
I would not expect the the TTSE to dethrone the K1600.  I have not been on a K1600, but if the straight six is anything like the straight six in their cars, its gonna be a really nice engine and I'm sure the platform doesn't suck either.  In fact, I purposely did not take the K1600 out for a test ride because I figured I'd like it and spend more money than I wanted to.

The TTSE is a lot of bike for the money so it doesn't have to be the very best in my book.

Offline davidcumbria

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Blue SE 2014
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 12:28:48 pm »
 I test rode a K1600 and apart from straight line didn't like it. Much preferred the low and high speed handling of the RT. The demo bike was 1 month old and had already been dropped twice. I tried to roll back up a slight incline and it would n't move an inch. The FBW throttle was really difficult to get a feel for at walking pace. As one test ride said every 400 mile blast down an auto route ends with a tight and sometimes gritty/ sloping hotel park which could really take the shine off the day. No way is it worth the extra dosh over the triumph. I very occasionally think the Trophy is a little too powerful for its intended use but this would be a recurring thought on the BMW.
Loads of unhappy owners out there due to electronic gremlins.
Nice exhaust but really not worth it.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 12:30:48 pm by davidcumbria »

Offline cropbiker

• Trophy God
  • Midlands biker
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Triumph Trophy SE
  • City / Town: Worcester
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 12:31:33 pm »
*Originally Posted by enGage [+]
I would not expect the the TTSE to dethrone the K1600.  I have not been on a K1600, but if the straight six is anything like the straight six in their cars, its gonna be a really nice engine and I'm sure the platform doesn't suck either.  In fact, I purposely did not take the K1600 out for a test ride because I figured I'd like it and spend more money than I wanted to.

The TTSE is a lot of bike for the money so it doesn't have to be the very best in my book.

the straight 6 is a REALLY nice smooth engine..... its just such a shame it is mated to an agricultural transmission and final drive! :157:
Triumph Trophy! Not for every Tomaz, Dieter or Herman!🇬🇧

Offline malcolm

• Trophy Pro
    • View Profile
  • Bike: Trophy 1200
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »
How could the RT win you cant even buy one ! I would of thought reliability should be the most important attribute of a touring bike, also I test road the RT before they were grounded and the Trophy handles much better none of that vague front end feel you get from the RT and I didn't notice that big a weight difference the Trophys weight is a wet weight with 26lt of fuel BMWs wet weight is without fuel they have always l---d about the weight of there bikes whenever testers have weighed them, which isnt very often they just print what they are told, they are always considerable heavier than listed